• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum. Please register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
  • LegalBeagles® is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Life insurance advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nospot
    started a topic Life insurance advice

Life insurance advice

Hi there. My partner of ten years passed away last September. He had life insurance with Scottish widows. We are still awaiting a date for the coroner's inquest but it has become clear that he passed away due to alcoholic poisoning. The coroner also said there was a class A drug in his system although it was a tiny amount and had no part in his death. I have never made a claim for any kind of insurance and I was wondering if this is something Scottish widows could use to get out of paying? Thanks in advance.
    Tags: None

replied
    Originally posted by Nospot View Post
    Well I could do that but then I'm not non the wiser. I would rather see for myself what exclusions there are prior to making a claim. Not least because I simply do not have the finances to shell out on yet another death certificate for nothing. I know it doesn't seem a lot but I simply do not have money to waste so would rather know for sure one way or another.
    When MIL died, I heeded all the advice and got several copy death certificates. In the end I only used one or two. I'd just send one off to a company, and they would return it very quickly. They don't need to keep the certificate, just make a copy for their records.

I think you'll find it difficult to get SW to talk to you until you prove to them that your partner has died.

Leave a comment:

• Nospot
    replied
    Thank you amethyst

Leave a comment:

• Amethyst
    replied
    Give SW a call and tell them you are struggling with affording multiple copies of the Death Certificate and can you send it to them with the form and they return it to you ? ( Keep copies of course before sending it )

Otherwise talk to them about exclusions on the policy - or ask if they can send the policy documents to you.

Leave a comment:

• Nospot
    replied
    Well I could do that but then I'm not non the wiser. I would rather see for myself what exclusions there are prior to making a claim. Not least because I simply do not have the finances to shell out on yet another death certificate for nothing. I know it doesn't seem a lot but I simply do not have money to waste so would rather know for sure one way or another.

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by Nospot View Post
    Yes I notified them of his death sometime ago and they sent me a claim form and asked me to send a copy of his death certificate which I've only recently got due to waiting for his inquest.

I have not yet told them his cause of death as I wanted to see for my self the exclusions first or do you think I'm being silly and just ask them straight up if they will payout or not?
    Just make a claim.

Leave a comment:

• Nospot
    replied
    Yes I notified them of his death sometime ago and they sent me a claim form and asked me to send a copy of his death certificate which I've only recently got due to waiting for his inquest.

I have not yet told them his cause of death as I wanted to see for my self the exclusions first or do you think I'm being silly and just ask them straight up if they will payout or not?

Leave a comment:

• des8
    replied
    Have you or the administrator yet been in touch with SW?

Leave a comment:

• Nospot
    replied
    Thanks I am named as a benificiary. I really need to know how I can get the policy schedule so I can ascertain if I am excluded or should I say his cause of death is excluded

Leave a comment:

replied
    You may have trouble getting SW to communicate with you, unless you are named as executor in a will or take out letters of administration if your partner was intestate.

If he was intestate, you may not be entitled to anything under the normal rules of intestacy. Of course, the policy may have been written in trust, naming you as beneficiary. If not, you may have to make a claim under the Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants) Act 1975. There are strict time limits on that, so check it out now.

http://www.sheddenfamilylaw.co.uk/in...fact-sheet.php

Leave a comment:

• des8
    replied
    You need to request a copy from SW and hope they have one they are prepared to send you.

Have you made a claim and if so with what reaction?

Leave a comment:

• Nospot
    replied
    Sorry to come back to this after a while but I don't have the schedule. How would I obtain a copy please??

Leave a comment:

• des8
    replied
    So the standard policy wordings for Life cover do not exclude death following alcohol abuse.
    However they will not accept a claim if the death was by any specific exclusion(s) referred to in the schedule,(so does the schedule mention any exclusions?)

Leave a comment:

• des8
    replied
    I haven't looked at policy wording yet (about to retire!), but it is quite possible that the exclusion only refers to the critical illness section.
    The Life cover is whole life, and SW's whole life policies do not exclude death following alcohol abuse.

I'll try and look sometime over the weekend if I get a minute

Leave a comment:

• Nospot
    replied
    Okay he has critical illness with life cover. It says they won't pay out critical illness if it is to dobwith alcohol or drugs but is the critical illness separate to the life cover as I can't see anything with regards to that...

Leave a comment:

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse
See more
See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

upgrade to vip

Want exclusive access to forums, more privacy and a live chat box? Upgrade to become a bigger part of our community.

only £15/yr

Offers available. No subscription traps.

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
X