• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Npower Bill 2 years later

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phaeton
    started a topic Npower Bill 2 years later

Npower Bill 2 years later

My son moved into a rented property with his girlfriend in April 2014, she moved out in August 2014 & he moved out in April 2015 the house stood empty for May 2015 although he was still the tenant. At the time he was in full time employment with one company during the week & worked every other weekend for another company.

In February 2017 they sent him a letter saying that in 20th January 2017 the meter had been examined & it had been bypassed prior to my sons occupation & included was a bill for a further £546 which they estimate is the electricity he used in that period on top of the £450 he'd already put on the prepayment card, they had in May 2014 refused to change the meter to a post payment one.

We have reached deadlock with them, it has gone to the Ombudsman who are siding with Npower in that they can claim 10 units a day usage as that is the national average. Our argument is that no account of his single full time working status has been taken into account. Are there grounds to fight this or do we just have to roll over & take it no matter how unfair it is. I do not object to paying an amount to make this go away, but the amount they are claiming is greater than my own bill in a house which is 50% bigger, with my wife at home all day.

Not sure it makes any difference but my son now currently lives in New Zealand

Thanks in advance.
    Tags: None

• R0b
    replied
    Just regarding your last post, I haven't fully read the thread but if it's a contractual issue then the limitation period would be 6 years, that could be either from the date of the breach or the demand so you may want to work out both just in case. If they're suggesting the meter was examined in Jan 2017, it might be prudent to count 6 years from that date.

I presume PDCS are a debt collector or has the alleged debt been purchased by them? I'm usually against ignoring, as there is no reason not to engage and put your son's side across, even if it is to say that he will not be paying and invite them to take legal proceedings, otherwise stop harassing.

Leave a comment:

• Phaeton
    replied
    Now July 2021 & still not heard anything from Npower, can we safely assume this is now dead & buried?

Leave a comment:

• Phaeton
    replied
    Just to update this, it is still not resolved, my last letter to Npower in 2018 still remains unanswered asking for the location of the meter so it could be inspected by an independent source, what date the bypass occurred & how they knew the date etc.All has been quiet until last week when my son started getting texts from PDCS which we are ignoring until we get an actual letter advising us of a court date. As this relates to their claim of undercharging in 2014 is there a statute of limitations whereby if they haven't taken him to court by the end of the year (6 years) should it just go away?

Leave a comment:

• Grieving Mum
    replied
    Thank you des8

Leave a comment:

• des8
    replied
    It is better to start a new thread.
    No two cases are ever the same and confusion can easily arise
    And don't worry about being a newbie and/or a pensioner.... we're generally very respectful!

Leave a comment:

• Grieving Mum
    replied
    https://legalbeagles.info/forums/for...11#post1465211

Hi, I'm having absolutely horrendous problems with npower (very complicated and long-running going back years and encompassing every single thing they've been fined for but, they have refused to accept responsibility for or include me in any of the remedies outlined by Ofgem).

One of the main issues is about the frequent SAR's concerning this post by des8 . I've literally just joined, am a real newbie and a pensioner who's not very savvy with forums, so do I need to start a new thread?

Leave a comment:

• Phaeton
    replied
    Originally posted by Setmefree3 View Post
    I’m only asking as they say it’s been tampered by a previous tenant, which would be well in excess of two years. If it was noted when your son was there, surely it would have been reported and the meter changed back to its original state. Just a thought.
    Sorry I don't appear to be getting emails on replies,

But Yes I agree with you, this was a meter on the outside of the house with easy access down the side of the house, there was no excuse not to examine/inspect it, but from what I can gather it hadn't been inspected for at least 3 years, & potentially far longer, the 12 months that my son was in residence & then 2 years after he left when they found the issue, which I think was only on replacement.

Leave a comment:

• Setmefree3
    replied
    Originally posted by Phaeton View Post

Absolutely no idea, they refuse to tell us when it was last read/inspected prior to Feb 2017, it has been asked multiple times & is a separate question on the SAR, it was a prepaid meter but I think the rules are the same.
    Taken from NPOWER site.
    If I send you an online meter reading why do your agents need to read the meter in my house?

Meter safety checks are really important

We need to inspect every customer's meter - gas and electricity - even if you're sending us regular meter readings.

Why? Well most importantly, we want to check the equipment's safe to use.
    • Secondly, we want to make sure the meters are giving us accurate, up to date information. This way, we can be confident your bills are based on actual energy usage.

If your meter is easily accessible from the outside of your property we'll carry out your meter read visit and meter safety inspection without you being there. In some cases, we may not be able to gain access to your meter so we'll need to arrange an appointment that's convenient for you, but we will need you to be there.

Our meter agents are MeterPlus and Lowri Beck - you'll see their names on any cards they leave, letting you know they've been to see your meter.

If we've used your reading or one taken by one of our agents, it will show on your bill as 'Actual'. If we haven't got a reading we'll estimate your meter reading and will show on your bill as 'Estimate'.

I’m only asking as they say it’s been tampered by a previous tenant, which would be well in excess of two years. If it was noted when your son was there, surely it would have been reported and the meter changed back to its original state. Just a thought.

Leave a comment:

• Phaeton
    replied
    Originally posted by des8 View Post
    Has your son decided whether or not to return to the UK any time soon?
    Thank you for the information, I may be awkward & advise as they have been dealing with me for over 2 years they know who I am, but is there any point in it, I may as well just provide the info, it just seems wrong.
    As to my son, he's now back in the country

Leave a comment:

• Phaeton
    replied
    Originally posted by Setmefree3 View Post
    Why wasn’t the meter inspected before 2017.

Suppliers are required to read and inspect your meter(s) at least every two years – although some suppliers may visit more frequently. Bills, between supplier meter readings, are issued using estimates based mainly on past consumption.
    Absolutely no idea, they refuse to tell us when it was last read/inspected prior to Feb 2017, it has been asked multiple times & is a separate question on the SAR, it was a prepaid meter but I think the rules are the same.

Leave a comment:

• des8
    replied
    ICO SAR code of practice 20170609 Version 1.2

"To avoid personal data about one individual being sent to another, either accidentally or as a result of deception, you need to be satisfied that you know the identity of the requester. You can ask for enough information to judge whether the person making the request is the individual to whom the personal data relates (or a person authorised to make a SAR on their behalf).
    The key point is that you must be reasonable about what you ask for. You should not request a lot more information if the identity of the person making the request is obvious to you. This is particularly the case when you have an ongoing relationship with the individual."

If the SAR was made by you they may not release the information unless they obtain prior authorisation from your son anyway!

Has your son decided whether or not to return to the UK any time soon?

Leave a comment:

• Setmefree3
    replied
    Why wasn’t the meter inspected before 2017.

Suppliers are required to read and inspect your meter(s) at least every two years – although some suppliers may visit more frequently. Bills, between supplier meter readings, are issued using estimates based mainly on past consumption.

Leave a comment:

• Phaeton
    replied
    Sent a SAR of to Npower last week, received a letter back yesterday saying that I have to prove who I am, they have said I need to send copies of one of the following

Birth Certificate
    Driving License
    Passport
    Photo ID

Then one of the following as well

Current Utility Bill
    Council Tax Bill
    Bank or Store Card
    Other formal document showing name & address

Then a four page document wanting all the details I believe I have already sent to them, can they insist that I complete all of this,

Leave a comment:

• Phaeton
    replied
    Thanks des8 I'll bring the letter into the office tomorrow & write them a letter, then re-write it without the profanity the bottom feeders deserve.

Leave a comment:

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X