• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Medical Records Data Breach

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Medical Records Data Breach

Hi

I had my medical records disclosed to a 3rd party by the NHS in Glasgow. The 3rd party needed my late relative's records and I signed the request to release their records. However, instead of sending my relative's records, they sent mine instead. They were received by the 3rd party who then informed the NHS of the breach.

I got a long letter outlining the reasons why this happened - staff error, incompetence basically. I was shocked at the time as I had just lost my a relative and his records were being investigated by the SPSO.

Now some time has passed and I am quite angry at this incompetence as some other issues have been raised.

Question: can I raise a claim against the NHS for this breach of data? In England, where i now live, it's possible and there's lots of lawyers offering data breach services. In Scotland, I can't seem to find any lawyers who offer a data breach service like they do in England.

I am Furious that my details were disclosed like this as I have a number of health conditions.

Appreciate any advice!

Thanks

Tags: None

I appreciate there has been some time pass since you posted this, but I'd start with the Information Commissioner's Office and take their advice first.
    ----- DISCLAIMER -----

I am a former trainee Sheriff Officer who became disillusioned with the Scottish legal system so left the industry. I will offer insights from my first-hand experience, but *I am not a legal professional and you should always seek independent legal advice before acting on anything I say*.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X