• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Problems with lawyer's incompetence

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with lawyer's incompetence

I was subject to repossession action by the local authority, I believed their action to be unlawful and challenged the action in court. I had a lay representative who failed to show up for a hearing and an eviction order was granted. I hired a solicitor to get the case reinstated which was successful. Prior to going to court, I told the solicitor that I believed the case was unlawful and was told they will get the case dismissed.at the recall hearing - this never happened.
    For the past year I have sent my lawyer material that backs up my claim that the Council's action is incompetent but the lawyer disagreed, claiming the LA's case was competent, saying the law resides in the universal credit Act. The lawyer made it clear that I must accept their decision and if not then there is a lack of trust and I should think about whether I still want them to represent me. As another court hearing was a week ahead I backed down. The judge refused to speak to my lawyer at that hearing and just had a zoom call with the LA legal representative and had the case continued to next year.
    This gave me time to try and find from another source whether I was right or my solicitor. I wrote to the DWP about my case and they have come back agreeing with me the LA's action is incompetent.
    Needless to say, I am unhappy with the advice/actions of my solicitor. My solicitor is 2 years post grad and inexperienced, looks to me there is no supervision by the senior team.
    This has cost me a great deal in financial costs and also emotional, psychological, and physical costs. I have been dragged through the courts for the past 3 years while battling cancer.
    I am obviously going to have to address the issues with the solicitor but I feel anxious about it. I worry that their career will finish before it even starts if I make a complaint/seek compensation and I don't want to see the solicitor on the street. Any ideas on how I go about this?
    Tags: None

Begin by raising a complaint with the firm - go on their website and there will be a process. Follow it would be what I would do in your circumstances.

Comment

Originally posted by eliaorteg
      A lawyer's incompetence can make things worse for you. I think the best solution is to file a complaint against him. I encountered such problems when I lived in New York. I thought all New York lawyers were highly trained professionals. Unfortunately, I was wrong. In the end, when I had problems, I didn't get proper help. After a while, we moved to Florida. Any process involving the Florida Department requires that a person has knowledgeable counsel by their side to provide legal advice. I like the state's attitude toward the problems of its citizens. Even private companies are conscientious about treating their customers. In my opinion, erasethecase.com stands out from the rest with the professionalism of its employees.
      USA Problem this is the UK.

Comment

It is terrible incompetence and outright laziness on the law firm and the lawyer in particular. I think you should file a complaint against the law firm and the lawyer. It is best to contact the bar association and ask them to consider this case. You can also contact a reliable lawyer to help you get compensation for the damage caused to you. If you are in Canada, I can recommend fleetwoodfamilylaw.ca. I have contacted them several times on various issues, and they have always been quick and competent to help me.

Comment

Originally posted by laotiosub View Post
          It is terrible incompetence and outright laziness on the law firm and the lawyer in particular. I think you should file a complaint against the law firm and the lawyer. It is best to contact the bar association and ask them to consider this case. You can also contact a reliable lawyer to help you get compensation for the damage caused to you. If you are in Canada, I can recommend fleetwoodfamilylaw.ca. I have contacted them several times on various issues, and they have always been quick and competent to help me.
          see posting #3 above USA

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X