• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Let's Fight Back Against Scammers and Spammers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Post Office Tears Up Scam letters

Click image for larger version

Name:	post_office.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	1470377
    The Royal Mail has promised to destroy millions of letters sent by scammers.
    Also, where the Post Office believes letters are carrying money from UK citizens to scammers, they will be impounded and checked.

The Royal Mail makes a lot of money delivering “Marketing” letters of course so it’s not surprising they haven’t wanted to take action to stop the flood of scam letters included in that. The scammers were even able to use Royal Mail bulk mail contracts and have Royal Mail stamped on the envelopes. This gave the letters a ‘trust’ factor.

However, pressure from newspapers, complaints and a word from the Prime Minister have brought about a change of heart and Royal Mail have introduced a new code of practice with all suppliers that lets them open letters they believe are scams.

Campaigner and broadcaster Esther Rantzen who has investigated postal fraud in the past said “I’m delighted Royal Mail is taking action to stamp out these appalling crimes against the most vulnerable people. I’ve been horrified by the number of elderly people who’ve been victims of these fraudsters”.

Also, Royal Mail have said they will stop letters being sent to known scammers and where cash is involved – return it to the victim.

Royal Mail will also contact any homes they suspect of being targeted by scammers and will send warnings by recorded delivery to ensure they get to the intended recipient.

Good for Royal Mail and about time too.

To complain to the Riyal Mail about scam letters, emails or calls you have three choices

By post: FREEPOST SCAM MAIL

By Email: scam.mail@royalmail.com

By Telephone: 03456 113 413 (message service only)
    You can read my blog on scammers, spammers and time-wasters at https://fightback.ninja

And you can hear me on Brooklands Radio every Tuesday and Friday morning at 11:30 at http://www.brooklandsradio.co.uk

The Fightback Ninja
    sigpic

Comment

Ivana and The Gumtree Paypal Scam

Click image for larger version

Name:	gumtree_logo.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	11.6 KB
ID:	1477695Ivana and her husband had a car to sell.

Why not try Gumtree? After all, Gumtree is British and it works for local people and especially for large items that the buyer collects.

In the case of a car – no point advertising for more than a short distance from home and it definitely needs to be collected. You can’t put a car in the post box.

The car went on sale but attracted little attention.

Then this arrived

“Great! please consider it sold and remove the adverts online as i am willing to pay your asking price? because i need to buy it for my cousin asap as a surprise gift, i have read through the advert and i’m totally satisfied with it,sadly i would not be able to come personally to collect due to my hearing loss and I’m just recovering from heart surgery so I’m home-bound. can i earn your trust, hope i wont be disappointed? I have a courier agent that would help me to pick it up at your preferred location after you have received your money and cleared to your account and i’ll pay you via PayPal today once you get back to me with your paypal email and full name. Where is the pick up location so that i can inform the courier agent about it now? Await your response”.

Ivana recognised this is a well-known scam.
      1. The buyer contacts you via email rather than a call
      2. The buyer offers to buy the item immediately, at full price, doesn’t ask any questions and is extremely keen.
      3. The buyer cannot visit to view the item and has a sob story to explain this.
      4. The buyer wants to send a courier ASAP to collect the item
      5. The buyer tries to circumvent paying by Gumtree by offering another method (this means that if you are scammed, Gumtree cannot help)

Quite often these scammers say they will pay by Paypal and you might wonder how someone can scam you if they’ve sent you money on Paypal.

The most common ways are
      1. They don’t pay but instead send fake emails that look like Paypal emails telling you that the money has been paid. Always check your Paypal account rather than accepting an email as proof and never click on links to access your Paypal account.
      2. They pay using a stolen Paypal account. When Paypal find out its stolen – you don’t get to keep the money.

With Gumtree, cash payment on collection may be the safest approach.
      You can read my blog on scammers, spammers and time-wasters at https://fightback.ninja

And you can hear me on Brooklands Radio every Tuesday and Friday morning at 11:30 at http://www.brooklandsradio.co.uk

The Fightback Ninja
      sigpic

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X