• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Scam phone number on Gumtree site

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scam phone number on Gumtree site

Just wondered if anyone has come across this scam. Work colleagues 18year old daughter was searching on Gumtree for part-time work for waitress/bar staff and came across a job vacancy quoting this phone number: 0705 356 0259. Someone answered the phone saying they were putting her through to a manager, she was kept waiting for sometime and then she hung up. She rang again on several occasions but same thing happened. She's now had her Orange phone bill which is usually around £30 but this one is £259. She reported it to Orange but they just said nothing they could do, but would let her pay bill over a period of months. I advised her to report it to Gumtree as the advert is still on there and the Police, any advise would be appreciated.
    Tags: None

Re: Scam phone number on Gumtree site

go direct to Action Fraud with regards to this! http://www.actionfraud.police.uk/contact-us

They are red hot with this, and I agree that Orange can't do that much re the bill apart from allow payment over a larger period, but ask them to put a Premium bar on the account (almost instantanious) and it stops any "abnormal" numbers being called (ie 09 numbers)

Comment

Hi Puff

Thanks for the quick response, I won't see her till Monday, but I'll pass this info onto her, at least she'll help prevent someone else getting a nasty surprise.

Comment

you are very welcome hun!

Welcome to LB by the way, apologies I didnt say that before.

I am ex mobile company staff and I know this is taken incredibly seriously by the companies when they have it pointed out.

It may be worth telling A/F about the size of the bill, I'm not promising but they may be able to help with regards to this too!

Comment

Put in a small claim against Gumtree?
          They no doubt will have said they're not liable, but is that true?
          They could have tested the number.

Comment

from Gumtree

Liability

Nothing in these terms shall limit our liability for fraudulent misrepresentation, for death or personal injury resulting from our negligence or the negligence of our agents or employees. You agree not to hold us responsible for things other users post or do.
            We do not review users' postings and are not involved in the actual transactions between users. As most of the content on Gumtree comes from other users, we do not guarantee the accuracy of postings or user communications or the quality, safety, or legality of what's offered.
            In no event do we accept liability of any description for the posting of any unlawful, threatening, abusive, defamatory, obscene or indecent information, or material of any kind which violates or infringes upon the rights of any other person, including without limitation any transmissions constituting or encouraging conduct that would constitute a criminal offence, give rise to civil liability or otherwise violate any applicable law.
            We cannot guarantee continuous, error-free or secure access to our services or that defects in the service will be corrected. While we will use reasonable efforts to maintain an uninterrupted service, we cannot guarantee this and we do not give any promises or warranties (whether express or implied) about the availability of our services.
            Accordingly, to the extent legally permitted we expressly disclaim all warranties, representations and conditions, express or implied, including those of quality, merchantability, merchantable quality, durability, fitness for a particular purpose and those arising by statute. We are not liable for any loss, whether of money (including profit), goodwill, or reputation, or any special, indirect, or consequential damages arising out of your use of Gumtree, even if you advise us or we could reasonably foresee the possibility of any such damage occurring. Some jurisdictions do not allow the disclaimer of warranties or exclusion of damages, so such disclaimers and exclusions may not apply to you. Despite the previous paragraph, if we are found to be liable, our liability to you or any third party (whether in contract, tort, negligence, strict liability in tort, by statute or otherwise) is limited to the greater of (a) the total fees you pay to us in the 12 months prior to the action giving rise to liability, and (b) 100 Pounds Sterling.

Comment

Puff, I've been a member for awhile now and have always had excellent advise, in fact you've all been a rock to me during some testing times with debt collectors and I had a great result with PPI reclaim. Always dipping in and out of the forums as you never stop learning new things. Your all amazing x

Comment

ooooooooops sorry hun

Comment

"Nothing in these terms shall limit our liability for fraudulent misrepresentation"
                  You're kidding me?

Comment

You can let everyone know there are 2 ways to check to see if an 07 number is premium rate or just a mobile number. 1st you search for the complete number in google. This will often tell you if it's owned by a company or a mobile network or you can simply send the number a text message. If it's a premium rate number it won't be delivered & you'll recieve an error message advising to only text mobile numbers. Hope this helps. I used to work for Virgin Mobile and this information as far as i know is accurate

This info was taken from an advert on Gumtree!

Although is a bit late for the OP it seems to be good advice for everybody else for the future.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigsis View Post
                      Just wondered if anyone has come across this scam. Work colleagues 18year old daughter was searching on Gumtree for part-time work for waitress/bar staff and came across a job vacancy quoting this phone number: 0705 356 0259. Someone answered the phone saying they were putting her through to a manager, she was kept waiting for sometime and then she hung up. She rang again on several occasions but same thing happened. She's now had her Orange phone bill which is usually around £30 but this one is £259. She reported it to Orange but they just said nothing they could do, but would let her pay bill over a period of months. I advised her to report it to Gumtree as the advert is still on there and the Police, any advise would be appreciated.

hi sis and to all who MAY have has issues with gumtree, i was scammed through there site and in my panic and frustration at trying to report it to them i rang there phone number

0905 836 0000

9.00am - 9.00pm Mon - Fri
                      9.00am - 7.30pm Sat - Sun
                      The call will cost 35p from a BT landline other operators may vary, calls from mobiles or outside of the UK will be higher.

this ended up costing me £62 as i used my mobile, i am furious with this and have written a letter of complaint to them and have asked them to refund me as well as complaining about there TOTAL LACK service thanks in advance dixie:beagle:

Comment

All 070 numbers are charged at premium rate of between £10 & £25 a minute. Avoid them like the Plague

Comment

All 070 numbers cost between £5 & £25 a minute

Comment

070 numbers can be quite expensive - I think the £10 to £25 may be an exaggeration though (maybe 37p-£1 a minute) They are easily obtained and discarded though so I'd never ring one.

Autotrader use 070 numbers in their '' Telesafe '' scheme but are changing over to geographical ones due to the scams and bad press around 070.

I wouldn't recommend ringing any number that isn't geographical or 0800 / 0845 myself as they are too easily abused. If a business or seller only offer a mobile number I would be very wary too.

090 numbers have always been extortionate.
                            #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                            Working...
                            X