• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Is my mobile app legal?

Collapse
This thread is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is my mobile app legal?

Hey,

I've been creating a mobile app over the past 1 and half years for personal use, and its got the the point where i find it incredibly useful and am thinking about releasing it.
    But I'm unsure about the legality of some of its features.

Bit of background:
    The app is a financial 'budgeting' type app similar to Emma or Yolt.
    The way it works is by connecting to the users financial accounts and aggregating all their data together under 1 app, so you can easily see where all your money is, where your growth is, where your debt is ect.

So the question I have is:
    Am I allowed to connect to the users account via the website rather than the official API?
    IE.
    The other apps use either the official APIs, or Open Banking to connect to the users data (this has extra security and doesn't require the user inputting their password).
    My app essentially logs into the website 'on the users behalf' and reads the information off the webpage almost like its pretending to be the user.
    My worry is that this type of 'impersonating' the user (even with the users permission) is not legal and would require the website owners permission to access it this way.

Hope that makes sense
    Thanks
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X