• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Incorrect mileage on new car

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Incorrect mileage on new car

I viewed a car locally, all looked okay with the car itself and I paid for it by bank transfer on Wednesday last week, to be delivered on Friday. When I received the car, there was a manufacturer warranty book (nothing from the dealer itself who said I would get a 3 month warranty), and old MOT certificate for 2020 (a new one was done on 6/8 before I took delivery) and the green V5 slip. I looked at the info and queried where the MOT certificate was on Friday night with the lady at the dealership who sold it to me and she said she had 'only received it that day' and that I could look online, when I did I found out that the mileage was 74500 and not 61000 as advertised on Autotrader and as noted on the Invoice or note of sale that I signed. I queried this with her and she said she would look into it when she was next in the office but I have had no response since, what are my legal rights as although I know I should have been more vigilant with my checks I feel proper done over. I also noted that the MOT originally failed on 6/8 with a dangerous defect yet was meant to be in an excellent condition, and found out it was an auction car although that it normal i believe, but that has now worried me that the new certificate (for which I still have no paper copy or invoice for works carried out) might be dodgy and the car might have problems.

I wondered legally what my rights are as I am a bit clueless about all this sort of thing. I also have since seen that the car was advertised under one name and the company is connected to another, for which there was signage in the office, this name was on the invoice and on looking on facebook several people have complained about her service and lack of compliance with regards to documents they were missing etc so am just wanting to know where to go next as I would be fine if it were a couple of thousand more miles but that is a big jump.... any help welcome!
    Tags: None

Hi PFCPOMPEYSARAH

You need to report it to Citizens Advice / Trading Standards, they will give you a complaint number. Then send letter / email (don't speak to them over the phone) the dealership requesting a full refund, you are covered by the Consumer Rights Act 2015. Here is a letter you can send -

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/co...ters/#sec55153

You can add the Citizens Advice / Trading Standards complaint number to the letter / email.

Here's some more info - https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-ne...ing-a-used-car

Info on Mileage of used cars - https://www.bromley.gov.uk/leaflet/122658/4/675/d#tsi2

Also pay by credit card, that will provide more protection then bank transfer.
    Last edited by echat11; 10th August 2021, 08:23:AM.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X