• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum. Please register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
  • LegalBeagles® is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Default CCJ - Help!

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Default CCJ - Help!


    I appreciate there are lots of threads on this already but would like to see if any members are able to offer me specific advise?

    I've just found out via a credit alert that I have a CCJ registered against me from a private parking company

    They've serviced the claim against my old address (moved last year). Updated driving licence, DVLA, electoral register etc when I moved.

    On a couple of occasions I forgot to display my permit and got a ticket - They discontinued a case against me 18 months ago after I sent witness statement etc...

    There was another occasion about 2 years ago (the specific parking event they've claimed against me on this occasion) --- where I parked in a sort of unloading area above ground next to the flats in the middle of the night. I specifically remember this event because I had been inside for around 15 minutes before returning to my car to find a ticket which I remember thinking how unlucky! I had forgotten my electric key fob to enter the gated car park and had agreed to collect my flatmate from the train station - so didn't go to my space in the car park for the 15 minutes,

    Question is - is it worth trying to have the claim set aside? They claim that I've broken the T&Cs of parking - however the signage is foreboding i.e. there is no offer to park - also there may be some other legal arguments around unfair consumer contracts etc --- They've pursued me via POFA - so I believe that they can't add all the inflated costs on top.

    I'm not bothered about being in a net loss position in regards to paying court fees greater than the debt - I want to pay them as little to nothing as possible.
    Tags: None

  • #2
    Set Aside Application

    is the details for set aside applications. If the claim was served on your old address and they had no reason to do so ( which it sounds like, they didn't do their due diligence )then you really should apply to have the CCJ set aside. You can then make a decision on whether to defend the case or make an offer to pay so that the CCJ doesn't get reapplied if your defence fails.
    “We may not win by protesting, but if we don’t protest we will lose. If we stand up to them, there is always a chance we will win.” Hetty Bower

    Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

    If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

    Find Solicitors offering fixed fees on our sister site - JustBeagle.com


    • #3
      Thanks for the above link. That has been useful as have all the other threads on the forum.

      I asked to have the judgement set aside by consent but they fobbed me off and then ignored the deadline I set for a response.

      So I've sent off my little bundle to the courts - should be set a hearing date soon. Will update this thread with the outcome.


      • #4
        Are any members able to offer some advice as not been through this process before?

        I've got a set aside hearing date set in late December. I sent off my set aside form, witness statement, draft defence and draft order (asking to set aside/pay ,my costs)

        After looking through forums I'm not 100% sure on following:

        1.) Do I need to send other side any of the documents I sent to the court?

        2.) Is it wise to send a type of letters such as SAR to ask claimant what info they have on me etc? What's the best format?

        3.) I'm still not 100% sure what 'parking offence' I'm being collared for - I had a couple of tickets parking in my own space and once when I unloading in the middle of the night in a dropoff area - I think I'm done for the later from the dates given to me by the court - question being can I supplement/add to witness statement when I get to court if claimant doesn't give me any info I need until the day in question? if that makes sense?

        many thanks in advance


        • #5
          ostell ?
          Debt is like any other trap, easy enough to get into, but hard enough to get out of.

          It doesn't matter where your journey begins, so long as you begin it...

          recte agens confido


          Any advice I provide is given without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

          I can be emailed if you need my help loading pictures/documents to your thread. My email address is Kati@legalbeagles.info
          But please include a link to your thread so I know who you are.

          Specialist advice can be sought via our sister site JustBeagle


          • #6
            I'm not sure about sending the documents to the claimants as well as the court by err on the safe side and send them.

            Send a SAR to the parking company. Here's a link to a template. As well as requesting all the documents also ask specifically for the PCN that they issued. the 30 days should be before you have to be in court? But in the meantime mention that you have requested the documents but they have not yet supplied them. That way you can see what specifically they are claiming for, As you say if it was a forbidding sign then all should be well.


            • #7
              ostell - thanks for your previous post. Wonder if you could shine any exppertese on following?

              I sent a SAR and although gladstones didn't send all the info I requested, they did see letters sent to my old address which allowed me to see what parking 'offence' I had supposedly committed - which was I had temporarily parked on an external common part of the estate - and now have access to the online photos.

              in my draft defence I sent I had to cover all bases as I didn't actually know where I had parked as mentioned in first post (whether my own spare or in the external part) so it's not specific to this case as such.

              my defence points are; what authority/interests does claimaint have in the land? primacy of contract. Forbidding signage - no contractual offer and doesn't conform to POFA.

              is it possible or advisable to be able to adjust my defence when at court by introducing new elements?

              i also now have access to the photos 'evidence' which are laughable - taken in the dark - the flash obscures the number plate - but the picture of the signs are blurry and they are unlit as it was middle of the night - this would no contract by performance?

              also the lease agreement specifies that I had vehicular access of easements, access ways etc but another clause does state that you can't park a vehicle in common external areas - shall I not dwell on this In court? Or because the claimaint is a third party (and pretty sure) has no authority to enforce the lease anyway? Not sure how to play that one?

              hope above makes sense and would really appreciate any further guidance


              • #8
                SAR to the Parking Company !!


                • #9

                  I had my set aside hearing today and the original judgement was set aside.

                  I found the judge to be a bit dismissive - and would not have the application fee of £255 refunded for me as apparently it wasn't the claimants fault to not know what my address was!

                  My understanding is that CPR states that the claimant needs to undertake reasonable steps to establish a current address of service?

                  What's worse was the claimant didn't even show up which didn't get a mention.

                  Guess the court writes to me telling me to send in a defence etc?


                  View our Terms and Conditions

                  LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

                  If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

                  If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.


                  No announcement yet.

                  Court Claim ?

                  Guides and Letters

                  upgrade to vip

                  Want exclusive access to forums, more privacy and a live chat box? Upgrade to become a bigger part of our community.

                  only £15/yr

                  Offers available. No subscription traps.

                  sign up now

                  Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

                  Find a Law Firm