• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Help with my Appeal to the IAS, following a PCN appeal not being upheald

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with my Appeal to the IAS, following a PCN appeal not being upheald

I appealed against a recent PCN which was not upheld, therefore I still need to pay the fine. I want to appeal to the IAS as detailed in the PCN's appeal outcome. I have written something up to send to the IAS, I wanted to get your thoughts on my appeal and if anyone has had any similar instances as outlined in my draft below. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Section 9, Schedule 4, Protection of Freedoms Act 2012
    (4)The notice must be given by—
    (a)handing it to the keeper, or leaving it at a current address for service for the keeper, within the relevant period; or
    (b)sending it by post to a current address for service for the keeper so that it is delivered to that address within the relevant period.
    (5)The relevant period for the purposes of sub-paragraph (4) is the period of 14 days beginning with the day after that on which the specified period of parking ended.
    (6)A notice sent by post is to be presumed, unless the contrary is proved, to have been delivered (and so “given” for the purposes of sub-paragraph (4)) on the second working day after the day on which it is posted; and for this purpose “working day” means any day other than a Saturday, Sunday or a public holiday in England and Wales.

Contravention date: 14/12/2019
    For the purposes of sub-paragraph (4) 15/12/2019
    Issue date(Posted) 27/12/2019
    Issued 12 days after the contravention took place.
    Letter sent, Section 4(6) 2nd working day: 31/12/2019
    14 days is 29/12/2019 - Section 4(5) no reference to working days impacting this date.
    Letter received: 02/01/2020
    Under the presumptions from Section 9, Schedule 4, Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 the letter wasn't provided within the 14 day period outlined.
    No requirement to prove the contrary in Section 4(6) as even though receipt of the documents occured on 02/01/2020, the 14 day period from 15/12/2019 ended on 30/12/2019 - a day prior to the presumptive date detailed in *Section 4(6).
    Tags: None

I disagree with your calculation:the notice is required to be delivered on the 28th. The next day, 15, is day 1 of the 14 day period. That's my interpretation.

However, even with your interpretation then 15 +14 = 29, not the 30 so they were 2 days late

However the IAS are not renowned for accepting appeals, even boasting about their 85 % rejection rate, and an appeal to them is not normally recommended. Just wait to see if they dare try court.

If you do appeal can you find any further POFA fails to add to your appeal?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X