• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Back dated water bill

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back dated water bill

There are two separate rented out properties on a working farm. We moved into one of these in 2015. Our neighbours had been tenants for several years previously. The landlord was the farmer, who rented the whole site from a local country estate and then sublet the houses. The estate were aware of this but chose not to get involved at the time..

Because the whole site was fed by one water supply, water costs were included in the rental agreement. Although it clearly states in our letting agreement (which was a generic document produced by a local estate agent) that we were responsible for water rates, it was fully agreed with the original landlord that the water was included and indeed we have genuinely never been charged or paid anything towards it. I believe our neighbours have an older rental agreement issued direct from the landlord which states this.

In 2020 the original landlord surrendered the whole farm and the estate took over the lettings of both houses. One of the first things they did was to replumb the water supply and put everything on individual meters.

Despite conversations about a new rental agreement direct with the estate this has not yet been offered and our original deposit paid is still being held in the name of the original landlord.

They have however presented us with a bill for nearly £1000 for backdated water supply dating from when they took the properties back "in house" and are now threatening legal action if it is not paid. This just states an amount of money required, but gives no indication how it has been calculated. As I understand it, our neighbours have not received any bill.

I'm not averse to contributing towards the water going forwards if necessary as long as the same arrangement is applied to our neighbours. Prior to this we had by agreement, not paid anything towards the water rates as it was included in the rent. Can they force payment in these circumstances and would "custom and practice" apply from our previous arrangement?
    Tags: None

Anyone able to offer any advice with this please?

Comment

I think you need to write to them. Outline your position, that you have documents that state 'everything' is included. But you are willing to come to an amicable agreement to contribute some money towards the water rates. If the matter proceeds to Court then of course you will defend any claims made against you (and the possibility of counterclaim on the basis that you have documents to show that no monies is due to them i.e. harassment).

Wait for more advice.

atticus
      des8
      rob

Comment

Can you confirm you are located in England?
        Were you advised in writing within 2 months of the assignment of the change of the landlord's interest, and of the name and address of your new landlord? (i.e. were you served section 3 & 48 notices?)

Comment

I would enquire how the figure was reached and why it has only been presented to you and not your neighbour. I am sure you took the meter reading when the new meters were installed, but going forward I would check if you are being charged at domestic or residential rates as I believe there is an 18% difference.
          You also state that the original deposit is still held in the original landlords name, Is this deposit held in an approved government deposit scheme?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X