• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Legal advice sought - live online sports betting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legal advice sought - live online sports betting

Hello,

I am writing this more in hope than expectation but thought it best to research the matter further before accepting the online bookmakers decision (I will not name them in case this would conflict with this forum's rules).

Tonight I placed numerous bets on various World Cup Qualifier (soccer) matches whilst they were "in play". I often bet on live events as I feel the fluctuations in the prices offered provide an opportunity to find better value than by simply predicting the outcome before the fixture starts.

As was my approach with many bets beforehand, I was ideally seeking situations where the odds of the pre-match "favourite" being victorious were increased owing to a change of circumstances over the course of the match. My query relates to bets I placed in the second half of the USA v Jamaica fixture.

I had bet on a USA victory in several ways including a victory without conceding a goal and by a wider margin than just one goal prior to the game but as the game remained at 0-0 with only half an hour remaining the odds offered for this outcome lengthened. I still felt confident in the result and so decided to repeat the bets.

A short while after placing these additional bets I decided to check the latest scores online (on another website) it was at this point I saw that USA had in fact taken the lead (2 goals in fact). Upon opening the "app" for my betting account to check on the new/updated odds and consider settling the bets early to ensure a profit I noticed the odds were still the same as I had taken on the previous bet. Without delay I deposited more funds into my account and staked the full balance of my account on a 2-0 victory (by this stage the game was in its dying moments and the outcome was a near certainty).

The game finished and I waited for the successful bets to be settled. However, my account was simply refunded with my initial stakes for all the bets. It had obviously become apparent to the firm that neither the "live" scores nor the odds were being updated.

My question relates to whether this is in accordance with the current legislation covering live online gambling. My argument would be that the odds were displayed, I accepted the offer, my money was transferred, the bet was accepted, etc so the due process was followed.
    i expect there is some legal precedent for these types of situation but would hope that it is their responsibility to ensure the information displayed on their sites/ products is accurate.

Any advice or information you can provide on this situation would be greatly appreciated as I have read through their "rule book" and can find no information or terms which would justify the bet being voided .
    Tags: None

Re: Legal advice sought - live online sports betting

Hi & welcome.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but as this was an obvious error the bookmakers can probably repudiate the bet, and somewhere in their T&Cs it will almost certainly so state.
    Your best hope is for a goodwill payment (point out your previous record with them) or appeal to Independent Betting Adjudication Service ( http://www.ibas-uk.com/)

Comment

Ever wondered why there a no POOR bookies?

Comment

Originally posted by wales01man View Post
        Ever wondered why there a no POOR bookies?
        I'll bet there is!

Oh!

CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
        Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
        gets his brain a-going.
        Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
        The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X