• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Child arrangements following seperation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Child arrangements following seperation

Good evening

My partner is having difficulty agreeing on arrangements for her 2 children to see their father, her ex-husband. I wonder if anyone can help us understand what may occur as understandably its causing some distress. I will try to give a brief factual account of what has happened over the past 3 years:

- The father has always had access, having the children every other weekend post seperation and one week during the Summer holidays.
    - He asked for additional access one fixed night a week, which my partner agreed to, around two years ago.
    - Last year, he asked for an additional evening each week. One of the children has private tuition on this night to support her learning difficulties, which is only available on the night requested. The father stated other evenings were not convenient, and now collects the children immediately after this tuition.
    - The father regularly seeks to change the arrangements to suit. This causes my partner some distress - their relationship was controlling, and my partner panics whenever she is contacted by him, feeling she has to say yes.
    - To try and formalise the arrangements, my partner prepared a Parenting Plan. This differed to the above arrangements by not including the evening that one child has private tution.
    - The father has replied with his own Parenting Plan. This proposed plan outlines a number of changes, among them that the children are with him on both weeknights (meaning the tuition cannot take place), states that all school holidays are shared equally, that we drop and collect the children, and that both parents and respective partners have regular discussions on an ongoing basis to agree on how the children are raised
    - As both parents are ao far apart, my partner proposed mediation at a local centre convenient for both.
    - The father has replied to say he is unwilling to compromise, that the arrangements are what the children want, that he will not attend mediation as the costs are exorbitant and he will now take the matter to court

We are very much in the dark about what might happen and concerned about the future. The father already has regular access to the children - access that has incrementally increased each passing year. We dont believe these arrangements are in the children's best interests, we know that the children do not want to upset either parent, but the father has discussed this with them and now wants to proceed to court.

We have a few questions

1. We are a working family with no savings. I do not see anyway we could afford legal advice or court costs. What happens seeing as we cant afford to see this through?
    2. What can the father ask for in court - full custody? Even more access? He already has the children overnight on 6 days of every 14, it feels like when will this end?
    3. What evidence would a court take into account? Abusive messages? Voicemails? The childrens opinions? That of relatives, teachers?
    4. Can my partner be forced to maintain regular contact with someone she is frankly still intimidated by?
    Thank you for reading and we appreciate any constructive feedback
    Tags: None

My husband and his ex went to court over his son. Court agreed that every other weekend with dad from 4pm the Friday till Sunday at 4pm this gives mum time to bath him and get him settled for bed. Then all school holidays are to be split down the middle and these dates to be agreed a minimum for 3 months in advance. The children’s birthdays both parents to see them if want for. Min of 3 hours ... Mother’s Day with mum fathers with dad.*
    We went to court 2 years ago and this was the outcome. The court said that any after school clubs are a national curriculum and that if they wanted to do them we couldn’t stop him and this goes for tuition I would assume too. Hope this helps.

Comment

Sorry forgot to say that travel was also mentioned ... My step sons mother doesn’t have a car in her name so there for couldn’t prove that she drove so we have to do all the driving (we live 2 hours away) we went to a court who told us without mediation they wouldn’t take us on and if the children live with mum the court will be in the child’s local court not the dad so he will have to travel.*

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X