• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum. If this is your first visit to LegalBeagles and you need assistance then you can ask a question here;
    Create a Thread
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Advice about legal costs - Power of Attorney

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Advice about legal costs - Power of Attorney

    Looking for an idea of costs to set up a Power of Attorney?

    I live overseas and my parents are in the UK. My father went to a local solicitor and asked to set up power of attorney over my mother as she is in the final stages of Parkinsons & Dementia.

    My dad has just informed me the lawyer did this for him, and he's been charged 900 pounds.

    Is that normal? I did a quick search online and found that I could of done it for them for 82 pounds.

    I have emailed the solicitors and asked for a break down of the invoice.

    Is this normal in the UK?
    Tags: None

  • #2
    Hi Salmonsteve,
    The costs can vary, a lasting power of attorney (LPA) can be dealt with by the person wishing to appoint an attorney on line which would then incur a registration fee about 82 I believe. If a lawyer is instructed to prepare the forms rather than taking the DIY option via the on-line route then they will of course charge for their time. In my experience if this is for a single LPA it is at the higher end of fees charged, but there are a number of factors to consider. What sort of Power of Attorney and if it was a Lasting Power of Attorney was it both types in relation to property and finance and also health and welfare.

    This link may help explain the types: - https://www.gov.uk/power-of-attorney

    If this was a different type of power of attorney that may affect the price too. My main concern however is that you mention that your mother is in the final stages of Parkinson's and Dementia, so it may be that she does not have sufficient capacity to instruct anyone to create any sort of power of attorney, lasting or otherwise. If that is the case then it may have been necessary to apply to the Court of Protection for your father to be appointed a Deputy in order to deal with your mother's affairs. This would be significantly more expensive.

    I hope that helps clarify things.
    I am a qualified solicitor and am happy to try and assist informally, where needed.

    Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any practical advice I give is without liability. I do not represent people on the forum.

    If in doubt you should always seek professional face to face legal advice.


    View our Terms and Conditions

    LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

    If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

    If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.




    Find family law specialists that offer fixed fee services on our sister site, JustBeagle...

    justbeagle screenshot

    Find a Law Firm NOW

    See more
    See less

    Court Claim ?

    Guides and Letters

    Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

    Find a Law Firm