• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum. If this is your first visit to LegalBeagles and you need assistance then you can ask a question here;
    Create a Thread
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Data Protection info please

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Data Protection info please

    Hello. We have recently been part of a childrens social care assessment as grandparents of 2 young children. The children were staying with us for a number of weeks but then my daughter took them back - she then decided she didn't want us to speak to the social worker or they to us & that we couldn't have a copy of the report even though we had contributed to the report.

    We did however reveive a copy of the report voa my daughter (who still isn't talking to us), however, the report omits information we gave that we think is important to the children - involves risks to the children. It goes on to put us in a really bad light, judging us on one meeting . without recording the circumstances of the situation we were in. My daughter makes some vile allegations aboit me and my husband that are featured in the report. Namely that I've been accused of deliberately causing harm to my daughter and her siblings (completely untrue).

    we have written to them to say we'd like to discuss the report with them & outlining where thete are discrepancies and gaps. We got a curt response which really said no we're not going to discuss this with you & we'r taking it as a complaint. I said I didn't want to make a complaint about it & they said tough it has to be a complaint. I then get a letter saying that they didn't have consent from my daughter to discuss the contents of the letter with us - even though she'd given us a copy of it.

    is this right? We contributed to this report and we are named and featured in it although the info she talks about that we gave is not correct or is 'cherry picked' or omitted. We feel that the report is really imbalanced & what the SS are saying is that they won't talk about it.this doesn't make sense does it? Does anyone know about data protection in this case?
    Tags: None

  • #2
    The new GDPR legislation gives you the right to rectification where personal data might be inaccurate as well as the right to erasure. However in a situation like this, it is going to be extremely complicated with allegations made from a third party (your daughter).

    If you make a request to have data rectified, Social Services would need to verify the accuracy of the data. Exactly how they would do this, I'm not too sure, however if they refuse to rectify the data, they would need to give you the reasons behind this decision.

    You can also make a right of access request under GDPR to see the personal data that Social Services is processing about you. This is likely to include more information that you've seen already and I would probably go down this route first. Your husband would need to submit his own request also.


    View our Terms and Conditions

    LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

    If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

    If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.




    Find family law specialists that offer fixed fee services on our sister site, JustBeagle...

    justbeagle screenshot

    Find a Law Firm NOW

    See more
    See less

    Court Claim ?

    Guides and Letters

    Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

    Find a Law Firm