• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Determination of costs hearing - following conclusion of non mol order 31/12/2022

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Determination of costs hearing - following conclusion of non mol order 31/12/2022

Hello

I'll try to keep this succinct.

At a recent directions hearing to potentially extend and interim NMO (with no admission or findings of fact) until a final 2 day hearing date in March 2023, I received a phone call from the applicant's barrister stating that the applicant wants the order to conclude on 31/12.

I agreed, in principle, providing my costs to date were awarded. His barrister disagreed despite not taking instructions and clearly being unaware that the previous application I made asked for costs and this was to be reviewed at the final hearing. The judge was clear that he could not consider an award of costs without hearing evidence.

Although the hearing was not an evidential hearing, the judge did have time to look at some of my counter evidence and said that, on one point, the applicant's witness statement was not made out. This related to an allegation that I was acting in an aggressive manner on a certain day although this could not be a finding of fact as it wasn't an evidential hearing. Luckily I had taken an hour long video which clearly disproved this one allegation. Of course, the applicant's statement is filled with lies and the judge was critical that the application was not supported by objective evidence.

The judge said he did not wish to close the door on me from making an application for a determination of costs hearing but advised against it as he said something along the lines of, "You will be accruing costs in order to merely determine costs". The order gave us both the right to make an application by 31/12.

I have filled out an FL403 asking to vary the order and in particular to provide an extension of time in which the application for determination of costs can be made. This is because it is so close to Xmas and I am unable to seek legal advice as all legal firms will be on holiday by close of business tomorrow.

His solicitors do not agree to me applying for an extension and neither will they agree to the FP2 application for a determination of costs.

Should I ask the court to extend the deadline to give me time to perhaps obtain legal advice or just file an application? Also, can I file that application without notice even though I have verbally told his solicitors that I intend to apply for it? I obviously don't want to jeopardise my right to apply nor lose the right if in doing so it would be seen as an abuse of process for instance.

The fee for without notice is £53. The fee for on notice is £167. The local fees office asked if I had sent the FP2 form to the applicant's legal team (which I have not). They said if I have sent the form then I must pay the on notice fee but were not too clear on whether verbally expressing that I may make an application is deemed as "on notice"?

A response statement I received from the applicant seems to back track on several false allegations he had made because of what I see as my robust evidence in rebutting his nonsense and lies. I therefore feel like I am in a good position to bring this to a satisfactory conclusion and an award of costs in my favour. Of course, anything can happen on the day and I could perhaps even end up by some strange turn of events end up at cost risk.

The question is would my cost risk being simply his costs going forward from this point or at risk of all of his costs as I myself am trying to claim my costs to date (and any further costs I may be put to)?

Any advice would be gratefully received.
    Last edited by TheBereaved1; 22nd December 2022, 15:09:PM.
    Tags: None

Roughly how much costs are you seeking to claim?
    Have you self-represented or have solicitors been involved?

Costs hearings are tricky, Judges don't tend to 'like' them and the outcome can be very unpredictable if you get a Judge who is anti-costs awards in the Family Courts. As a general rule costs are not often awarded so you would need very clear evidence that he has wasted your and the courts time.
    "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X