• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Non payment of furlough / salary by employer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non payment of furlough / salary by employer

Morning,

just after some advice here, I have been employed by the same company for 11 yrs, at the beginning of April 2020 my employer told us we would be on furlough and would be looked after, I rather foolishly accepted their word, long story short is that by Sept 2020 I discovered that I had not been paid since March 2020, I was subsequently paid and promised that the back payments would be too, (they never were!)
    I received payments from October 2020 to January 2020, nothing since. I know that furlough applications were made and received, another employee received all her payments.

My employer continued to promise that the payments would be made however, nothing has ever been received. In late August / Sept 2021 the company emails ceased to operate and I could no longer contact my boss by phone either.

I believe that I am contractually due to receive the amounts due and indeed my employer has agreed to make the payments in writing too, I have been very patient and now am in a very difficult position personally and financially too, luckily i had savings to fall back on and I am currently self employed so I can pay my bills etc.

The company and my boss still exist, I do know that much, he is based overseas in the US.

I assume my best course of action is to launch a claim of breach of contract as he has failed to pay me, but any advice anyone is willing to give me would be gratefully received
    many thanks in advance
    Tags: None

It sounds like you have made attempts to resolve the matter. It might be an idea to raise a Formal Grievance in writing detailing the monies owed to you, to see if it can be resolved before proceeding with further action. This will help with any further action you decide to take if the matter isn't resolved.

https://www.acas.org.uk/grievance-pr...e-step-by-step

You can report abuses of the 'furlough scheme'.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/claim-fo...tention-scheme

Comment

It would appear from your post that you have not been paid since I presume you mean January 2021. Sorry a few questions before being able to help more fully.

How long have you been employed at the company?

Do you have records of trying to contact your employer in the time since January to ask about your salary payments and the response/s you have received?

Have you been notified what is happening to your job now that furlough has ended?

Have you heard anything from your co-workers or other members of management?

When did you last have contact from your boss?

Have you checked to see of the company has gone into liquidation - just a thought?
      If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
      If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, thanks for your reply
        ive worked there since July 2010

i have a chain of emails containing empty promises to pay me

the Only other UK based co worker received all payments

I last heard from the boss late July / early Aug

the court records in his local US county are not good reading

kind regards

Andrew

Comment

From an employment law perspective the time limit for bringing an unlawful deduction of wages claim which is what this would be is 3 months less a day from the date of the last deduction. Potentially if this was Jan 2021 then you would be out of time.

I presume you became self-emplyed because you realised that in effect your job no longer exisited as you were not being paid when was this?

I ask because this may be the date that could be argued as being the last deduction which, depending when this was, may bring you in time?

How substantial is the money you are owed in terms of considering pursuing a breach on contract claim?

I have a couple of questions which i need to put out to the wider LegalBeagles community as my experience, as you all know, is limited to employment law.

If the owner is not even in the UK how easy would it be to bring a breach of contract claim via the UK court system?
          If court records in the owner's local US county is not good reading, even if a claim can be pursued how likely will payment be made or could even be enforced if our OP is successful.

tag des8 R0b echat11
          If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
          If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

This is interesting,clearly lots of different factors need to be considered. -

https://www.dissentmagazine.org/onli...d-uber-and-won

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
            See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
            X