• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Additional responsibilities

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Additional responsibilities

Hi all
    I am a duty manager in a huge warehouse in the UK for one of the world's top freight forwarders. As the company is growing our operations manager has been moved to a different dept. The other duty managers (4of us in total) have been told that we have to now take on the operations managers duties and responsibilities, we will get new job descriptions but our titles will stay the same , with no additional pay or benefits. I asked what will happen if I refuse, and was told that I would be demoted and receive a pay cut. The company is growing and we have taken on new business and are currently recruiting more staff. Can they legally do this? I have been in my position for numerous years
    Tags: None

Celestine @ula

Employment contracts include duties of trust, confidence and good faith. Your employer may be in breach of the contract if they require you to work extra or take extra duties without any pay rise. You can speak to your HR department about the issue or talk to your trade union. You can also contact Acas for more advice.

Comment

Unfortunately, although there is the implied duty of "trust and confidence" in a contract of employment, it is not something that can really be used in this context and provide an automatic right to a pay rise for taking on extra duties and responsibilities.

It sounds like there has been a bit of a restructure by the move of the operations manager and that this role will not be replaced but as you say the duties and responsibilities will pass to the Duty Managers.

Who did you speak to about what would happen if you refused to work in the redefined role?
      If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
      If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Celestine ULA A contract of employment contains an implied term of trust and confidence. This means the employer should not conduct itself in a way which is likely to destroy or damage the relationship of confidence and trust between the employer and employee. Therefore, your employer could be in breach of contract for making you carry out extra duties without a pay rise.
        I am a law student undertaking work experience on the LegalBeagles forum. My advice is from my own experience only and is given without liability. If in any doubt, please contact a regulated and insured legal professional to seek further advice.

Comment

Law Student 4 I think you need to ready my post #3
          If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
          If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
          See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
          X