• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum. Please register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
  • If you need a solicitors help with your employment issue you can find and rate firms on our sister site, JustBeagle.com

You can obtain Free Expert & Confidential ACAS Code Based Employment Law Advice directly from ACAS by calling 0300 123 1100. It is available Monday to Friday 8am-6pm. Or visit their website at ACAS.ORG.UK
  • LegalBeaglesģ is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Contract terminated during probationary period

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Contract terminated during probationary period

Hi everyone, newbie here and really need some help and guidance.

started new job in January, training was poor and I was starting to regret having given up my safe and stable career in education. However, 3 weeks into the new job the employer had a meeting with me on Friday last week and advised me that things weren't working out and that they wanted me to leave with immediate effect. I received confirmation of this yesterday by email stating they would only pay me for the 8 days I worked this month.

The contract, although not signed by me, states:

Section 4 Probationary Period
    4.5 The employer may in its sole and absolute discretion terminate the Employee's probationary employment forthwith by paying the Employee a lump sum equal to 1 month's salary in lieu of any required notice together with any accrued holiday entitlement pursuant to clause 15.​​​​​​

Now I've spoken to ACAS who think I've got very strong grounds to go for breach of contract if they don't pay me the notice period, but I haven't got a clue how to respond to the employer and I want to respond in such a way that they know I'm serious.

Really didn't expect this outcome so early in the new role and feel thourougth let down by the employer. On top of that I'm desperately trying to find a new job and stressing about how I'm going to pay my bills at the end of the month.

Now the wording is slightly ambiguous with the use of "discretion", but is this just on their part? Would really appreciate any advice on this!!

Thanks in advance!!
    Tags: None

Sorry to hear about your situation.

Since you have not been employed continuously for one month your employer does not need to give you any notice so you are reliant on that clause 4.5. It is worth responding to their email in regard to that clause and explain to not pay you in accordance with clause 4.5 would be a breach of contract and therefore you anticipate receiving confirmation that the payment will be made in accordance with that clause.

In regard to the wording you make reference to "
    The employer may in its sole and absolute discretion",
    my interpretation is that the employer has discretion to terminate someone's employment immediately "
    forthwith"
    during the probationary period but in doing so they have to make the payment detailed.

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
    If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You canít always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Hi ULA,

Thanks so much for your reply! So do I keep my reply short and sweet, perhaps mention I've spoken to ACAS and refer to 4.5 and hope for the best?

Comment

I suggest you write something along the lines of:

Thank for your email of xxx, confirming that my employment has been terminated with immediate effect and that you will only pay me for the 8 days worked this month, however I would refer you to clause 4.5 of my contract. You have clearly at your sole and absolute discretion immediately terminated my employment during my probationary period and as such I am entitled by virtue of that clause to "
        a lump sum equal to 1 month's salary in lieu of any required notice together with any accrued holiday entitlement ."

I have been in contact with ACAS who have advised that if payment is not made in accordance with clause 4.5 then I would have a potential claim for breach of contract. I am sure that this situation is something that you would wish to avoid and therefore request that payment is made to me in accordance with clause 4.5. I look forward to your response and a speedy resolution to this issue.

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

You are an angel!! Thank you so much for all your advice!! Will keep you posted. This whole episode just feels like a bad dream and I've never felt so helpless.

Comment

Best of luck with the letter and please do come and let us know how it goes.

Comment

Sent the letter by email at 5:30. The exact same time I got fired Friday last week...fingers crossed this goes my way!

Comment

Hi again,

Quick update. No response to my letter of 15th Feb. On 28th Feb they paid me only from 1st to 8th. Have now started early conciliation through ACAS. They have attempted to contact ex-employer on my behalf, but they have not engaged as of yet. Should get an update later this week. Fingers crossed.

Comment

Thanks for the update as you say fingers crossed you get a positive outcome with support from ACAS.

Comment

Hi all,

so I have received ACAS certificate for early conciliation and I am applying for tribunal for breach of contract. I am asking how much detail I should provide in my claim form I have written this so far:

I was employed from 14/01/2019 to 08/02/2019. My employment was terminated with immediate effect at 5pm on 08/02/2019. I was paid from 01/02/2019 to 08/02/2019. However, Clause 4.5 of my employment contract states that, should the employer at their sole and absolute discretion immediately terminate my employment during my probationary period, I am entitled by virtue of that clause to:
                    "a lump sum equal to 1 month's salary in lieu of any required notice together with any accrued holiday entitlement.". Therefore I am seeking payment in lieu of notice to the sum of £2916.

Do I need to provide greater detail or is this suffice?

Thanks in advance!

Comment

That says it perfectly. Not sure that there is much greater detail that you can provide.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Employment Law

Are you having problems with your employer ?

Acas provides free and impartial information and advice to employers and employees on all aspects of workplace relations and employment law.
                      Contact ACAS
                      See more
                      See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

upgrade to vip

Want exclusive access to forums, more privacy and a live chat box? Upgrade to become a bigger part of our community.

only £15/yr

Offers available. No subscription traps.

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                      X