• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

School Dinners Schools duty of care

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Templer
    started a topic School Dinners Schools duty of care

School Dinners Schools duty of care

Hi All
    I hope someone can give me advise,
    I know this may sound trivial,

I have been experiencing financial difficulties at the moment, and have done so in the past, mainly cash flow problems,

Some times I am a bit late paying,
    The school are well aware of my situation,
    As I have had a run in with them in the past.

I have just received a text from the school office, asking, why my children have just got a snack, instead of a packed lunch.
    As it happens I do not owe a penny to them as it was settled yesterday, and they have not up dated there records,I would not mind but they never warned me that was the case.

Can the school refuse to give my children school dinners even if you are one day or a week late in paying them,
    The money is meant to be paid in advance, on the Monday.

Is there a law which give them a duty of care for the children.

Thanks in advanced

Templer
    Tags: None

• Fayth
    replied
    A few years ago when my son was in year 4, he'd forgotten to say he was stopping dinners. He was usually pack up. When they realised at lunchtime they gave him a tangerine for his dinner.

Leave a comment:

• followcleeds
    replied
    Originally posted by bluebottle View Post
    Re: School Dinners Schools duty of care

Not only do you appear to be having problems with the Frauleinfurhrer (Or is it the Super Mario Bros?), but it appears the Luncheon SS are searching pupils bags.

On a serious note, this sort of behaviour is totally unacceptable and of questionable legality. You should contact your MP without delay to give Michael "Thunderbirds Puppet" Gove a good hard kick up the backside to put a stop to this sort of behaviour. Additionally, the UK Column, which broadcasts a video magazine programme on YouTube most weekdays, at 1.00 pm, may be interested in your thread, especially as UK Column Live exposes the sort of behaviour you have experienced with the Luncheon SS at your children's school. If you want to do that, let me know and I will contact the editor, providing a link for him to view the thread.
    Thanks for the link Bluebottle
    The school is very good, it's the school secretary who's the problem,
    Very officious, I think she is on a power trip.
    just need some thing to throw back at her through the correct channels,

Leave a comment:

• madmax
    replied

Ok. My advice would be this....

Contact your local authority about eligibility for free school meals in the first instance. They will be able to tell you quite quickly. The school may also be able to help you with this as they will get more funding if you are.

Make an appointment to see the head teacher and explain your situation, communication is key here and that relationship will make things easier for you. Even if you aren't eligible they may be able to subsidise certain things..

Always make sure you send a packed lunch if you can't pay for dinners. The school have an obligation to the safeguarding of children and every parent has a responsibility to ensure they feed their children. Some schools will involve social services if there is even a hint of neglect.

Now, i'm not in any way implying that this is the case with you and your children, i'm just giving you facts from a school perspective and the experiences that I have and have seen happen.

Please keep the head informed at all times. If you let me know your local authority by PM I'll have a fish around for you...

MM

Leave a comment:

• Templer
    replied

Thank you for your replies

We as a family have had a few hard years, The wife had a mental break down and the children were in care for 10 months, financially it has been very hard, (self employed ) with irregular payments sometime I will not get paid for a couple of months,
    The school are well aware of my situation,
    They also know that they will always get the money, but it could be at times 2 -5 days late.

With regards to free school dinners I was told that I would not qualify as I am self employed,
    With the kids in care last year I was unable to earn a descent wage due to all the meetings so will be claiming working tax credits, which I think will help towards getting free school meals.

The children are in Year 3 and year 5

Even the children some times comment that all the school seems to care out is money, this did not come from us,

Templer

Leave a comment:

• madmax
    replied

Just a thought.. how old are your children.. ALL KS1 children will get free school meals from September regardless so that may ease the burden a little.. I have 4 so totally understand your struggle..

MM

Leave a comment:

• seduraed
    replied

Are you eligible for free school meals?

Leave a comment:

• madmax
    replied

In my new life I am the Business Manager at a junior school, and this problem comes up all the time.

I can understand the schools perspective especially as they are a small school. Chasing parents for dinner money takes up so much time, and if they are left with the debt then basically its tax payers money down the drain. There are parents who don't pay OR send in a packed lunch.

However, as a manager in a school I never see a child go without lunch. Its not the childs fault after all. The school should actually give you a call and not just text, that way they can actually find out if you have had a change of circumstances and need some help..

The answer to your original question is yes they can refuse.. but in reality they never should..

MM

Leave a comment:

• Templer
    replied

Just an Update
    I through back the amounts due at them stating by there calculations I would be in credit by £14.00( I knew the exact amount due and was left with a £0.00 balance)
    They finally looked into it, and I had a letter from the head, saying I was £2.00 in credit, Which they had asked my son for.

I spoke to the office staff, I pointed out that there calculations were wrong and as far as they were concerned, this was the end of the matter.
    So no point in going further.
    mind you I was not impressed with them taking the money off my son.
    I could not find anything to say that they must give the children dinners.
    it is more there attitude with people who are struggling financially, all I ask is for a bit of give and take .

Thanks

Templer

Leave a comment:

• Templer
    replied

I may take you up on that Bluebottle,
    They were checking for dinner money, in my sons bag,
    it is normally the office staff, who check.
    when they found out there was no dinner money in the bag that is when they sent the txt but I had paid the previous evening at the parents consultation to the Head mistress (last night)

I will try to resolve this amicably first,

I had a look through the link you gave me but could not find what I needed to know.

The amount owed was £22.00 so now I am in credit with the money I had paid.
    2 children at £2.00 a day, £20.00 a week in advance (serious arrears according to thee school.) so the arrears was £2.00 from before half term and the remainder outstanding was £20.00 for this week,

Templer

Leave a comment:

• bluebottle
    replied

Not only do you appear to be having problems with the Frauleinfurhrer (Or is it the Fraufurhrer?), but it appears the Luncheon SS are searching pupils bags.

On a serious note, this sort of behaviour is totally unacceptable and of questionable legality. You should contact your MP without delay to give Michael "Thunderbirds Puppet" Gove a good hard kick up the backside to put a stop to this sort of behaviour. Additionally, the UK Column, which broadcasts a video magazine programme on YouTube most weekdays, at 1.00 pm, may be interested in your thread, especially as UK Column Live exposes the sort of behaviour you have experienced with the Luncheon SS at your children's school. If you want to do that, let me know and I will contact the editor, providing a link for him to view the thread.

Leave a comment:

• Templer
    replied

Hi All

They were sent in with a snack as they were meant to have School dinners,
    I had settled up, with more than they asked for, so should have been in credit,

They sent me a text They had checked the children's bags and noticed that they only had a snack, Saying that they could not provide them with a hot lunch until the arrears were paid,

Then later I received another text saying apologies the office had just informed then that I had paid,

I would not mind but it was for 2 dinners for before half term and this weeks meals.
    it is only a small school 105 pupils (primary school)
    so the text was sent from the office any way.
    these text were sent today so no prior notice given about a packed lunch being required.

I'm sure that I am being picked on as I had a run in with them before, and others do not pay on the Monday and don't get hassled.
    How can you be in arrears for something you have not received!
    I wish I could get paid up fount for my work, then I would not have this problem.

The problem is a personality clash between myself and the school secretary,
    It is no good complaining as the school is always right.
    and the parent Must comply or else.

This is why I was asking if they were able to treat my children in this way.

Thanks

Templer

Leave a comment:

• Amethyst
    replied

Hiya,

Regarding your childs lunch today - are they meant to be having school dinners or packed lunches today ? (have you sent them with a snack to have as well as their school dinners, and they are refusing to give them school dinners due to their cock up with the payments? )

Leave a comment:

• enquirer
    replied

Originally posted by Templer View Post
    The school is very good, it's the school secretary who's the problem, Very officious, I think she is on a power trip.
    Ah, that dread disease ... 'Medical Receptionist Syndrome'.

Leave a comment:

• Templer
    replied

Thanks for the link Bluebottle
    The school is very good, it's the school secretary who's the problem,
    Very officious, I think she is on a power trip.
    just need some thing to throw back at her through the correct channels,

Thanks

Templer

Leave a comment:

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X