• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Lowells CCA completed outside timeframe

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lowells CCA completed outside timeframe

Hi,

I have a debt that was taken over by Lowells in Oct 2017. The original debt started April 2014. Lowells sent me a Letter of Claim at the start of the year forcing me to respond to them before they took court action. I read around a bit and it seemed sending a CCA request was the best course of action. I sent off my filled in template and £1 cheque by recorded delivery, which they received on 20/1/19. I then received a letter to confirm they were going to try to produce the documents. I received another letter 3 weeks later saying they were still trying to locate the documents. They finally managed to send me the documents in a letter dated 4/3/19. The documents seem to all be in order, and the letter is asking me to contact them with regard to how I want to proceed, and if I don't they will seek a CCJ,

From what I understand, the debt is now still legal, and they have produced the requested documents, but unenforceable as they did not comply with the request within the 12 day window.
    I couldn't find too much information on what to do next, it seems like I can now either choose to pay and be done with it, or stand my ground and go to court. I am tempted to go with the latter but am worried about wasting more time and money and potentially losing.
    The debt as it stands is for £886.

Tags: None

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated

Comment

Hiya, Apologies for missing your previous post... it does sound like you did the right thing with regards the letter of claim. You also sent the CCA request off, which was the right thing to do as well. So, downside is that they seem to have complied and you are happy with the documentation provided ... so your options are limited, you can let them take you to court, which will add costs and if they have provided the documents and everything is valid, and it isn't statute barred, seems a little bit pointless, particularly with such a recent debt, and could well result in your having a CCJ on your file for 6 years... obviously we haven't seen any of the documents or know anything about the original debt .... but it seems like you are going to want to negotiate a settlement or installment plan for repaying the debt.

The 12 days is a bit of a misconception I'm afraid - the debt is only unenforceable after the 12 days UNTIL they provide the documents ( which they have now done ) when it becomes enforceable again.

So any other issues with the original debt ? PPI etc ?

so CCA 1974 wise.... if a loan

77(4)If the creditor under an agreement fails to comply with subsection (1)—

(a)he is not entitled, while the default continues, to enforce the agreement
      if a credit card / catalogue

78(6)If the creditor under an agreement fails to comply with subsection (1)—

(a)he is not entitled, while the default continues, to enforce the agreement;F4. . .
      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Thanks so much for the reply, no other issues with the original debt.
        I will have to give Lowells a call and see what can be worked out with them.

Thank again for the help

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
        See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
        X