• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

** SORTED ** Default notice.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ** SORTED ** Default notice.

Hi,

Hoping someone can help me, I stopped paying a loan back in January 2012 (stupidly) and thought it would be statute barred by now. I sent a statute barred letter and the DCA sent me a letter back stating the default notice wasn't served until March 28th 2013 and I still have to pay them. I have not acknowledged the debt or paid anything since 2012.
    I would be grateful for any advice.
    Tags: None

Originally posted by Jack jack View Post
    Hi,

Hoping someone can help me, I stopped paying a loan back in January 2012 (stupidly) and thought it would be statute barred by now. I sent a statute barred letter and the DCA sent me a letter back stating the default notice wasn't served until March 28th 2013 and I still have to pay them. I have not acknowledged the debt or paid anything since 2012.
    I would be grateful for any advice.
    I wondered how long it would take!

You are squarely in PRA v Doyle territory here, I think.
    If it were me I'd be scrutinising the Default Notice date, because....
    https://www.blakemorgan.co.uk/news-e...ent-over-lega/

I'll give Amethyst a nudge for more input.

When was the agreement actually terminated?
    Do you know when the debt purchase co bought it?

While it is possible that it wasn't defaulted until March 2013 (15 months or so after the last payment), it usually is defaulted a bit sooner than that
    Last edited by charitynjw; 6th March 2019, 21:57:PM.
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Hi, cheers for the quick reply.
      I'm unsure of when the debt was purchased or when the agreement was terminated. I wrongly put my head in the sand and ignored any correspondence.

Comment

Hi, cheers for the quick reply.
        I'm unsure of when the debt was purchased or when the agreement was terminated. I wrongly put my head in the sand and ignored any correspondence.
        Send a SAR to the original creditor (it's FOC to do that.)
        Keep a copy & get proof of posting.
        https://legalbeagles.info/library/gu...ccess-request/

& send a CCA s78 request to the debt purchase co. (that'll cost the princely sum of £1.00....I usually use a postal order.)
        Again keep copy. get proof of posting.
        That may well protect your legal position.
        https://legalbeagles.info/library/gu...etter-example/
        CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
        Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Cheers, much appreciated.

Comment

Would me asking for these be admitting the debt?

Comment

Would me asking for these be admitting the debt?
              Not at all (unless you slip up & admit to them in writing!)
              Which you're not going to do, are you?

The requests are simply that....asking for info.
              CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
              Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Agree ... ( just as you tagged me )

As a loan, it isn't unusual since BMW v Hart to argue date of termination as cause of action for limitations but the Doyle case does strengthen their argument on default date .... however it does also mean they must produce evidence of the default notice and dates so make sure they do that .... as well of course as the original agreement ( CCA request ) and assignment.

If worried about acknowledging ( which I don't think you are in danger of ) put 'I do not acknowledge any debt with your company' at the top of each letter.

So yes - SAR to original creditor - and CCA request to the current owner of the debt for now.

what dca is it ?
                #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Hi,
                  I've been going through some paper work and found a letter from the bank December 18, stating that they had charged me incorrectly and have informed the DCA to take this from what I apparently owe. Unsure if the sum that the DCA reflects this or not. Suppose I will find out when they reply to the CCA.
                  DCA is Intrum.

Comment

You did send the SAR to the bank?

You probably won't get much in the way of statements from the debt purchaser.
                    A CCA s77-79 request gets you copies of the original agreement (or an accurate reconstituted one, the T&Cs & a statement.
                    CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                    Phelps, C. C.

Comment

I've sent the CCA not sent the SAR yet.

Comment

Hi all ,

Received a letter from Intrum today (unable to upload) advising me that the account is statute barred and they have closed the account. They also ask me to confirm if I still want copies of the original agreement and statements.

I'd like to thank you all that gave me excellent advise. Really appreciated. Seems like they were trying it on.
                        Last edited by Amethyst; 5th April 2019, 12:22:PM. Reason: removed irrelevant links

Comment

That'll do!

Well done for sticking with it!
                          Amethyst for info
                          CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                          Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Fandabbydosie xxx Congrats
                            #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                            See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                            X