• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

** discontinued ** Statute Barred

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ** discontinued ** Statute Barred

Hi,
    just received a letter today from Wright Hassell, I lodged a SB defence and Wright Hassell are saying they don't accept it. Just wondering am I mis- reading the letter. They state the Statute Barred clock started on the 30th November 2010 and proceedings where issued on the 15th of September 2017 and that this is within the six year limit. Could someone help with this please? I don't know how to proceed. I am uploading the letter as well with my details removed.
    Thank you
    Tags: None

Sounds weird so far... What kind of debt is it?
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

I cannot upload the letter file too big, I will type it out.

we act for the claimant in the above matter and are in receipt of your defence.
      we do not accept your defence and we have written to the court to inform them that we require this matter to progress to a final hearing.
      By way of further information on this matter, from the information provided to us by our client this claim relates to you Vanquis Credit Card, account number xxxxxxxx ( "the account ") which you took out on 24th September 2010. You made a final payment the original vendor of the account in the sum of £30.00 on the 30th November 2010. The outstanding balance of this claim is £1064.91.
      Our client Cabot Financial (UK) Limited purchased your debt on the 11July 2012 by way of legal assignment.This gives them the legal right to demand payment and as has become necessary, instigate legal proceedings.
      We note that you assert within your defence that the account is statue barred. The Account is not statute barred. Section 29(5) Limitation Act 1980 (the Act) states that.

when a person liable for a claim acknowledges the claim or makes payment in respect of it the right of the action shall be treated as having accrued on and not before the date of the acknowledgment or payment.

Section 5 of the Limitation Act 1980 states that an action founded on simple contract shall not be brought after the expiration of six years from the date on which the action accrued. Pursuant to S. 29 of the Act, the six year time period in this matter commenced on the 30 November 2010. Accordingly any claim brought within six years will not be deemed statute barred.
      The Claimant issued these proceedings on the 15 September 2017 within the six year Limitation period and as a result you cannot rely on the defence of limitation.
      we have enclosed the following documents.

Terms and Conditions
      Notice of Default

We do not consider your defence to contain any valid reason for the protection of this claim and we will be requesting the court to strike out your defence by making an application for Summary Judgement

Comment

Hi Amethyst
        it's a Vanquis credit card

Comment

At the end if the letter the say they are able to offer me a Tomlin Order etc No need to go to court and attached is a Sample notice of default and also a credit card agreement with my name typed on it and signed on 24.09.2010 and some guys signature photo shopped on followed by the date 19.03.2012

Comment

Bizarre. Do you know when the account defaulted ? Any dates on that sample notice ?
            Anything shown on your credit file previously that you know of ?
            Just seen this is related to your other thread so I'll merge the two tomorrow. The claim is stayed with the court as you entered defence then nothing further happened ?

Likely a case of replying to their letter pointing out their
            error.

No idea on the signature though - was a few months before it was assigned to Cabot and seems about right datewise for default IF the last payment was November 2011 and the 2010 is a typo ... so need to be a bit careful .... any way of checking your bank records ? Or remember if you opened a card account and basically only made one or two payments on it ?
            #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

Thank you for all the reply's. Yes Mike it is stayed. I am on 12 hour shift today, but this evening I will upload the letter and documents received. Again Thank you for your help and speedy replies.

Comment

Hi Amethest, yes case stayed and nothing up to this 15 th September 2017 was issue date of NCCBC court papers. Acknowledgement and Defence all submitted and accepted by the court within the deadlines.

Comment

Hi,
                  I have uploaded the letter, I hope you can understand it.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Nice example Default notice there... not. Goodness me. The 'example' is dated 15th April 2009 and only gives to the 25th April (1992 wtf?)to rectify. That's less ( if you use 2009) than the 14 days specified s.88(2) CCA 1974. So rather weird they've used that to evidence their default notices were compliant, bcause that shows they weren't. The figures are wrong too - I realise they are 'example' figures but they haven't even bothered to demonstrate they were giving opportunity to rectify the breach by paying up arrears before calling in full amount. It's just been knocked up by some kind of womble.

Presumable you also have the front page of the agreement ( terms 1 to 10 )

No idea what that 2012 is for... did they really wait till 2012 to execute the agreement? after it had defaulted? any statement of account or anything included?

Did you SAR Vanquis at all? If not might be worthwhile ( Subject Access Request Letter )

Think you should respond to this letter in anycase as they are saying they intend to apply for summary judgment - you could point out their errors and give them the opportunity to withdraw without costs.... or you could just leave it and wait to see whether they actually follow through with an application. Either way I'd try checking back in your bank statements, and doing the SAR to vanquis see if you can figure out the default date and actual last payment date.
                    #staysafestayhome

Comment

What a bunch of cowboys, I reckon my 15 year old daughter could do a better job of faking documents to try to substantiate a claim than these lot. And someone clearly can't count, because if they are saying the SB clock started on 30th Nov 2010 then the 6 year deadline was 30 Nov 2016 and so they have basically admitted that the debt is SB in correspondence to you.

I can't possibly see how this will go any other way than being dismissed regardless of what they have sent to you as that letter IMHO is fatal to their case. They're a year too late in bringing proceedings.

I would respond pointing out all their mistakes along with them admitting the debt became SB on 30th Nov 2016 and offering the chance for them to discontinue, then you won't pursue them for your costs of and occasioned in dealing with the matter.

If they apply for summary judgement I would defend via a witness statement and ask the claim is dismissed on the grounds it is statute barred as admitted by the claimant.
                      COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

Hi Amethyst and Jaguarsuk,
                        thank you for your response, yes I have the terms I to 10, I can upload them as well. I did some searching over the weekend and in Jan 2011 my ex wife left me suddenly. She left a large mortgage and a lot of unsecured credit and catalogue debt. Then she left me she went to another country and she was withdrawing money from my wages through our joint a/c. In Jan 2011 I opened my own bank a/c and my wages and all bills I had to pay went through that. The joint a/c was never funded from Jan 2011 and built up about 500 pounds in unpaid DD charges. I found an old Bank statement for this joint a/c and it has a payment by card from the a/c to Vanquis on are around the 15th Nov 2010.

Comment

IS that the last payment to Vanquis you can see ? With you opening a different account in Jan 2011 and that joint account not being funded, then it seems likely that was the last payment even if you had a DD set up as it would have bounced, so that does seem to be the date they are counting for statute barring. Usually they will try to rely on the default date, but they haven't managed to state when that was have they, and theres nothing on the credit file showing.

I reckon your next step is to reply and thank then for their letter and documents but that your defence of statute barred stands.
                          #staysafestayhome

Comment

Hi,

I have a couple of questions if somebody could help me please.

1) Is it a trick to get me to respond?
                            2) Is there any danger of restarting the SB clock by contacting them?
                            3)What is Summary judgement I know they can apply to NCCBC and pay a fee to have the stay lifted. If they do that does the case then proceed to Mediation and the option of a hearing at my local court or does the case take a different route?
                            4) I am not at all sure how to write the letter as in I am not sure of content or how to phrase my argument.

Comment

Once court claim has been issued the clock is stopped - if they discontinue then the clock starts back up …. so no, dealing with the court claim, unless you admit the debt/claim, can't be used as acknowledgment, and also once a debt is statute barred - a further payment or acknowledgment after that date ( so allegedly after 30 November 2016 ) cannot overrule that statuts ( section 27 limitation act 1980 )

If they apply for summary judgment then it would be up to you to defend their application ( by submitting a witness statement against the application to the court ) - it would still be moved to your local court if the judge needed a hearing but the mediation step is skipped.

WIll try give you a hand with a reply.
                              #staysafestayhome

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X