• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Next steps following General Form of Judgment or Order - Please help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Next steps following General Form of Judgment or Order - Please help

Hello, really hope someone can point me in the right direction.

I am a claimant (litigant in person) and have had a small claim going on for what seems like eternity. After a dispute resolution hearing with a district judge, I was sent a General form of judgment or order requesting that I send further information to the court and the defendant within two months which I did. The defendant was given another month to obtain further evidence to substantiate their defence and send it to the court and myself, the calendar month ended last week and I have not received anything.
    The order explained that failure to supply the information could result in the case being struck out or sanctions imposed.

I have telephoned the court and they have not received anything from the defendant but said they have a 3 - 4 week back log.

So, am I supposed to do anything? Or, will the court deal with it and notify me?

The hearing has been set for August so I am mindful of having to pay the fee in July. I’m finding it really difficult to deal with the time delay with the court at present as I’m terrified of missing a date or deadline.

Thank you for reading.

Tags: None

Write to the court that you have not been served per the order and ask for summary judgement pursuant to CPR 24.2 on the grounds 'that defendant has no real prospect of successfully defending the claim.'

If by the time the court works through their backlog they get to your letter and the defendants documents were in the backlog they'll do nothing, but if they haven't found anything they should put your letter with case file in front of a judge for directions.

Don't worry about the fee, if you pay it and they get to your letter afterwards the fee will be included in the amount adjudged if summary judgement is granted.

And if it is not, you'll be having a hearing, so it needs to have been paid.
    COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

Thank you so much for replying, I’m really grateful.

Do I need to send a copy to the defendant’s solicitor?

Comment

Originally posted by Outofdepth View Post
        Thank you so much for replying, I’m really grateful.

Do I need to send a copy to the defendant’s solicitor?
        Yes, it's good practice to serve on them when you file anything with the court.

Be prepared that it might have been an admin oversight on the part of the solicitor and they may make an application to the court to vary the order if so, although they'll have to give good reason and it may not be varied.

If they do come back because there are various outcomes that can be discussed and what you can do in response to them.
        COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

Originally posted by jaguarsuk View Post

Yes, it's good practice to serve on them when you file anything with the court.

Be prepared that it might have been an admin oversight on the part of the solicitor and they may make an application to the court to vary the order if so, although they'll have to give good reason and it may not be varied.

If they do come back because there are various outcomes that can be discussed and what you can do in response to them.

Brilliant, thank you!

Comment

Can you please post the exact wording of the part of the order that says that failure to supply the information could result in the case being struck out or sanctions imposed.
            Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by atticus View Post
              Can you please post the exact wording of the part of the order that says that failure to supply the information could result in the case being struck out or sanctions imposed.
              Warning: you must comply with the terms imposed upon you by this order: otherwise your case is liable to be struck out or some other sanction imposed. If you cannot comply you are expected to make formal application to the court before any deadline imposed upon you expires.

Comment

In that case, it will be necessary to assess the strength of your case and the other party's case on the information and evidence so far filed. It will be necessary to consider whether the other party's case stands up on this basis.

It may be appropriate to apply to strike out or for summary judgment, or a better decision may be to proceed to trial.

If you make any application, you will need to file an application notice with supporting statement, and pay the application fee. A letter will not be accepted.
                Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

In that case, it will be necessary to assess the strength of your case and the other party's case on the information and evidence so far filed. It will be necessary to consider whether the other party's case stands up on this basis.

It may be appropriate to apply to strike out or for summary judgment, or a better decision may be to proceed to trial.

If you make any application, you will need to file an application notice with supporting statement, and pay the application fee. A letter will not be accepted.
                  Thank you

The judge during the dispute resolution hearing said that my evidence was excellent and that the defendant hadn’t provided any factual evidence to support their defence.

Comment

Fine; we here have not had the advantage of seeing the statements of case or the evidence.

And do not let what one judge has said make you complacent when it comes to preparing and presenting your case.

Comment

Fine; we here have not had the advantage of seeing the statements of case or the evidence.

And do not let what one judge has said make you complacent when it comes to preparing and presenting your case.
                      Sensible advice, thank you

Comment

Post deleted as the question had already been answered.
                        Last edited by Outofdepth; 22nd June 2022, 12:02:PM.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                        See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                        X