• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Not sure what to do next

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not sure what to do next

Hi all

I issued a claim just before the limitation period expired and so applied for a stay to enable pre-action protocol to be completed. Just before the stay was granted, the other party filed a defence, basically stating they could not make a full defence at that time as the claim form didn't provide enough detail. During the stay, I sent a detailed letter of claim and the other party acknowledged receipt (eventually, after I chased them). The stay is due to come to an end and the deadline for the other party responding to my letter of claim expired a while ago now. I am just wondering what my options are now? Do I just wait to hear from the Court (i.e. hearing date) or should I chase the Court when the stay ends?...I presume the other party would receive costs sanction for failing to engage in pre-action? I realise I could chase the other party for a response, but I begrudge doing this again. How do I stand if other party responds late but before hearing?

Thanks!
    Tags: None

Hi,

Just wondering if anybody is able to assist with this?

Thanks

Comment

So you issued, and the claim was served? Why did you not mark the claim for personal service then you would have had 4 months to argue over pre action correspondence, then if you didnt settle you would be able to serve the Claim form and full particulars
      I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

Hi

I was at the very end of the limitation period and so followed 4.1 of Pre-Action Protocol for Professional Negligence, which states "The protocol does not alter the statutory time limits for commencing court proceedings. A claimant is required to start proceedings within those time limits. However, the claimant can request and the parties can agree a standstill agreement to extend the period in which a limitation defence will not be pursued. Alternatively, a claimant may commence court proceedings and invite the professional to agree to an immediate stay of the proceedings to enable the protocol procedures to be followed before the case is pursued.".

I don't suppose you are able to assist with the queries contained in my original post?

​​​​​​​Thanks

Comment

Hi,

Is anybody able to assist with this?

Thanks

Comment

sorry i am not clear, how was the stay put into place? Did you enter into a consent order with the other side? If so what did you put to cover when the stay ends? Or did you just launch the plane and give it no end destination?
            I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

Sorry, part of my message appears to be missing. I obtained the defendant's consent to a stay and made an application to the court. A stay of 6 months was granted. The stay has now expired and I have received no response to my letter of claim.

Thanks

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
              X