• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Quoted in published book without permission?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quoted in published book without permission?

Firstly may I wish you a happy new year!

I hope you can assist me with a little legal advice re the publication of quotes in a new book by a 'former' friend.....

Background
    I have considered myself and acquaintance of the author for many years due to his participation upon the Table Tennis tournament circuit in the UK. The author is also a business owner and an enthusiastic ‘Brexit remain’ advocate on social media. Since the referendum in 2016 The author has conducted a very 'pro-remain' ‘propaganda’ campaign on social media, but especially via Facebook. Over time, the authors Facebook posts have become increasingly inflammatory and inciteful. It became clear that should anyone disagree with the authors view then they were immediately labelled as racist, ignorant or lacking knowledge. The author has continually promoted his own beliefs and musings as ‘FACT’ rather than personal opinion. This has resulted in many confrontations and accusations of the author being supercilious, condescending, patronising to the extreme and has consequently lost the respect of many colleagues including myself. For my own part, having witnessed the responses friends and colleagues had received I made the conscious decision to never enter into any political debate with the author, instead choosing on occasion to tactfully remind the author to respect other people’s political opinion and views as opposed to simply labelling people who disagree with his views as racist and/or ignorant.

Whilst the conduct of the author upon Facebook has been both frustrating and on occasion insulting and upsetting, the publication of a book containing reference and quotes of these online Facebook conversations has come as an upsetting surprise. In this book the author has twisted these interactions to support his own narrative, and not a true reflection of the context in which any comments or actions were conducted. The author has included the initials of each person to whom he wished to attribute a quote within his book. Within the Table Tennis community this has resulted in a large section of this community immediately realising who these quotes are attributed to. No one was aware of the impending publication of this book and no permission was sought to either quote individual posts from Facebook or indeed reference them by way of initials.

Given the above, we would like to enquire if there are grounds for a case to be brought in front of a small claims court:

In order to simply have the initials removed from quotes and references within the book as a minimum.

And/or Grounds for a defamation/libel with regards to the publication of the deliberately misinterpretted and misconstrued quotes and references , along with initials revealing the identities, and also if there has been a breach of copyright with regards to the republication of Facebook posts without permission either from Facebook or the original author of posts and comments?

We would very much value your considered and professional opinion on this matter and your resultant recommendation. We have sent various emails to the author, as a group, requesting dialogue but all has been ignored. Would the next option be a Cease and Desist order, followed by a Small Claims Court of applicable?

Thank you in advance! We very much look forward to your advice!

PingPongWiz*
    Tags: None

Hm, it is an interesting situation, I would like to know the answer too!) I like to read books so much, it takes almost all my evenings, I am reading a great book now after I saw a wagner matinee summary I decided I need to read the full edition. A Wagner Matinee, as other books have quotes too, but how can reader check permission? Thanks for talking about this issue!
    Last edited by JamesWheeler; 20th July 2020, 10:18:AM.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
    See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
    X