• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Suing a Ltd company in status 'Active — Active proposal to strike off'

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suing a Ltd company in status 'Active — Active proposal to strike off'

Hello all
    I have a small claims case (lodged via Money Claim Online) against a builder operating as a limited company. Companies House shows the company status as as 'Active — Active proposal to strike off'.
    On 22 Jan 2019 a "First Gazette notice for compulsory strike-off" notice was recorded.
    On 7 March 2019 a "Compulsory strike-off action has been suspended" was recorded.

At my request, Companies House will prevent the company from dissolved until mid November.
    One of the directors of the company are also entered onto the claim.

Questions:
    1) Is it worthwhile for me to pursue this claim? I've already done the hard work (witness statements, pre-action formalities, payment! etc....) and have probably just got the actual hearing to attend now.
    2) Can I do anything else? I already have all the evidence/submissions prepared for the eventual hearing
    3) I am representing myself and they have a solicitor

A brief back story. I initially got a default judgement against the builder/director personally. I claimed against him personally because he never disclosed the company to me during the works. In his set-aside hearing, the judge did set-aside the original default judgement but also entered the his ltd company onto the claim. On two occasions they have offered to settle out of court, only to renege on it later.

Will be glad to provide more info if needed. Thanks,
    Last edited by jetster; 14th May 2019, 15:02:PM.
    Tags: None

Hello

What do you mean by the builder offering to settle out of court but reneging on it? Did you accept their offer or have they withdrawn it or something else?

Whether or not it is worthwhile pursuing the builder or the company, depends on whether they have any assets or other financial means available. Have you checked the company's latest accounts to see what assets or cash the company has?
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by R0b View Post
      Hello

What do you mean by the builder offering to settle out of court but reneging on it? Did you accept their offer or have they withdrawn it or something else?

Whether or not it is worthwhile pursuing the builder or the company, depends on whether they have any assets or other financial means available. Have you checked the company's latest accounts to see what assets or cash the company has?
      One two occasions, via phone and in a face-to-face meeting after the set-aside hearing, they have offered to settle and I have accepted. Last time (after the meeting) I followed up with an email to their solicitor outlining what we had agreed (namely that his client would settle by paying me by 9th May) and I have had no response. Naturally, I'm suspicious about their offer to settle since their solicitor won't put it in writing and only made the offer/s verbally on the phone. I can see no reason why they verbally (but not in writing) agree to settle and then not go through with it? Nevertheless, it's evidence of their unreasonable conduct which I can supply for the actual hearing.

WRT the company, It was formed in 02 Feb 2017 and no accounts have been submitted since. A confirmation statement was lodged on 17th Nov 2017. I have bank statements showing my payments going into their company account...if this of any use.

For the actual hearing: I have plenty of evidence against them, including my complaints to them about their work, signed witness statements from another builder and plumber plus invoices for costs incurred in putting right their work. I'm pretty confident of winning the case but less certain that the company itself is/will be in any fit state to actually pay up.
      Last edited by jetster; 13th May 2019, 08:52:AM.

Comment

Update: Companies House have responded to my request and will prevent the company from dissolved until mid November....

Having seen bank statements showing my payments going into their company (> £10k) and cash withdraws from the company during a 4 week period in 2018, my accountants inform me that HMRC may be interested in this - given that no company accounts have been submitted since the company's formation in early 2017. Could/should I use this as 'leverage' to persuade them to honour the settlement?
        Last edited by jetster; 26th May 2019, 07:59:AM.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
        See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
        X