• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Court Fees ( issuing a claim - under 10,000 Small Claims )

Important !
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Court Fees ( issuing a claim - under 10,000 Small Claims )

    When you issue a court claim through the county court there are certain court fees that will need to be paid. Most fees are based on the amount that the claim is for.

    You can see all the fees here > EX50 Court Fees

    Issuing the claim carries a fee, it is slightly cheaper to issue the claim electronically through the Moneyclaim online system. There is some guidance how to do this here > Money claim guidance claimants.pdf

    By way of example, if a claim issued is defended and goes to a hearing, the overall fee for a 1000 claim could be 160 if you file the case on paper.

    You may be eligible for fee remission if you are on certain benefits of a low income. See Ex160 Fee Remission for details.

    Of course this is reclaimable from the Defendant if you went on to win the case.

    If you lost the case you would lose the money paid to issue and any hearing fee paid. You may also be ordered to pay the Defendant's costs. These are limited in small claims, however if the court finds you have acted unreasonably full costs could be awarded against you.

    Click image for larger version  Name:	2019-01-23 08_45_13-Start.png Views:	1 Size:	318.4 KB ID:	1445166

    Further in the process, if the claim is defended and a hearing is required, there will be a further fee to pay;

    Click image for larger version  Name:	2019-01-23 08_46_42-Start.png Views:	1 Size:	133.8 KB ID:	1445167

    Therefore you should bear the Hearing Fee in mind when issuing a claim.

    Attached Files

    Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

    Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

  • #2
    Also bare in mind that court proceedings may at some stage require you to make an interim application - for example if another party is failing to properly disclose information.

    These cost 255 a time, which is quite painful when the claim is not for much more. Sure, in theory, the other side are going to pay that cost when you win, but you may not, or even if you do, the court may say that the cost of the application is down to you.

    It all raises the stakes and should be thought about before you begin.


    • #3
      Thanks for that Amethyst and Fepfep. But I am one step ahead of this?! I have the case number and the defendant has said he will contest the case.
      Now, I am asked to fill in a form N180? But got past the first page and now?? I'm lost again, in fact because of my memory problems and how my brain works I simply can't work through the details at all. So basically do you have something. Or is there something available to help me with working through this form please. I have until the 9/8 to get my papers in.
      (Please be kind to small animals. And the elderly especially War Pensioners)



      • #4
        This is an old thread?????????????? suggest you open a tread of your own now and give information:_


        • #5
          County Court Fees 2021
          County Court Fees 2021 paper fee on line fee
          Up to 300 35 25
          300.01 to 500 50 35
          500.01 to ٟ1,000 70 60
          1,000.01 to 1,500 80 70
          1,500.01 to 3,000 115 105
          3,000.01 to 5,000 205 185
          5,000 to 10,000 455 410
          10,000.01 to 100,000 5% of the claim 4.5% of the claim
          100,000.01 to 200,000 5% of the claim Paper claim only
          200,000+ 10,000 Paper claim only


          View our Terms and Conditions

          LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

          If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

          If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.


          1 of 3 < >

          Support LegalBeagles

          Donate with PayPal button

          LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

          2 of 3 < >


          Pre-Action Letters
          First Steps
          Check dates
          Acknowledge Claim
          CCA Request
          CPR 31.14 Request
          Subject Access Request Letter
          Example Defence
          Set Aside Application
          Witness Statements
          Directions Questionnaire
          Statute Barred Letter

          If you received a court claim and would like some help and support dealing with it, please read the first steps and make a new thread in the forum with as much information as you can.

          NOTE: If you receive a court claim note these dates in your calendar ...
          Acknowledge Claim - within 14 days from Service

          Defend Claim - within 28 days from Service (IF you acknowledged in time)

          If you fail to Acknowledge the claim you may have a default judgment awarded against you, likewise, if you fail to enter your defence within 28 days from Service.

          We now feature a number of specialist consumer credit debt solicitors on our sister site, JustBeagle.com
          If your case is over £10,000 or particularly complex it may be worth a chat with a solicitor, often they will be able to help on a fixed fee or CFA (no win, no fee) basis.
          3 of 3 < >

          Need Formal Help?

          Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

          Find a Law Firm

          See more
          See less

          Court Claim ?

          Guides and Letters

          Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

          Find a Law Firm