• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Mortimer Clark Court Claim

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mortimer Clark Court Claim

Hi all,

First time poster, but long time lurker, so I'm hoping someone here can poi t me in the right direction.

I've attached a copy of the letter received today. In all honesty, the debt is valid and the amount about right. I stopped paying several debts at the time as I fell into financial difficulty - and whilst I still have issues financially, my situation has improved.

I cannot afford to clear the full amount, but could raise £400 by the end of the month.

So questions:

1. What would you advise in terms of defending/offering a F&F?
    2. What steps should I take now?

My only goal is to avoid a CCJ and although I could raise £400, it would make the following months hard so would like the 'cheapest' possible route.

I ka ow from reading you guys all seem incredibly helpful and non judgemental, so would sincerely appreciate your input!
    Tags: None

Apologies - I forgot to attach the letter.
    Attached Files

Comment

tell us what it is for = no one answer fits situation,

Comment

Hi Mike,

The debt is for a Clyde Dale Bank credit card. The debt was passed onto Cabot and then MC.

In all honesty, I don't recall a notice of assignment (there probably was one though) , but I do recall several letters from MC threatening court action.

Hope that helps and thanks in advance. :-)

Comment

Pay the £400 by the end of the month & the balance by the time they are instructed to pay the hearing fee & its job done. No CCJ.

If you acknowledge service & submit the standard defence (IE defend the claim not admit it) it should give you 2 to 3 months to come up with the remaining £320.

It maybe an idea to keep the £400 in your bank until you save the £320 & pay it in one go though... If you can save (& not spend) the £400 that is..

Comment

Hi GBEXILE,

Thanks for your reply.

If that is the best and only route, then that's fine. Being wholly honest, I was hoping to frustrate the process as best I can and ultimately make an 11th hour settlement offer.

Are there any legitimate defences, etc? Any particular tactics that might get a lower settlement offer acceped?

Truth be told, I dispise that company and the way they operate and I don't want to give them a penny more than I have to.

Comment

Originally posted by ForumLurker View Post
              Hi GBEXILE,

Thanks for your reply.

If that is the best and only route, then that's fine. Being wholly honest, I was hoping to frustrate the process as best I can and ultimately make an 11th hour settlement offer.

Are there any legitimate defences, etc? Any particular tactics that might get a lower settlement offer acceped?

Truth be told, I dispise that company and the way they operate and I don't want to give them a penny more than I have to.

The standard defence is on the right hand of the webpage. You start at "Acknowledge Claim" & send CCA, CPR & Subject Access Request. & then file your defence (examples are all on the links).

But if they come up with the docs. You need to pay before they pay the hearing fee else you will be paying extra or you could let it run to a court hearing & pay the extra within 14 days (I think) to avoid a CCJ if they are awarded judgement..

Comment

Amethyst

Comment

Originally posted by GBExile View Post

The standard defence is on the right hand of the webpage. You start at "Acknowledge Claim" & send CCA, CPR & Subject Access Request. & then file your defence (examples are all on the links).

But if they come up with the docs. You need to pay before they pay the hearing fee else you will be paying extra or you could let it run to a court hearing & pay the extra within 14 days (I think) to avoid a CCJ if they are awarded judgement..
                  Thanks again GBEXILE.

Okay, so I have now acknowledged the claim via the moneyclaim.gov website and ticked the box "I intend to fully defend the claim".

Just so I get this right, could you confirm:

CCA Request: To Cabot +£1 Fee with a copy to MC (no fee)?
                  CPR Request : To MC at address on claim form.
                  SAR: To MC? Any fee?

Thanks as always. :-)

Comment

SAR to Clydesdale

CCA to cabot

CPR to Mortimer Clarke xx
                    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Make sure you make a point of asking for the Default notice, they dont mention it but they need either a s87 or 98A notice if the agreement has been terminated, so they must produce one bless them
                      I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

Hi again all,

I have had a reply to my CPR request to MC. They have given me a copy of the notice of assignment and have requested the rest from 'their client'.

They have also stated "The matter has been placed on hold and no further action will be taken."

Do I need do anything re: court case?

I'm conscious of the deadline approaching for my defence, etc.

And would it prudent to offer 50% settlement at this juncture whilst I still have a level of influence? Something along the lines of 'in view of the fact that you are not in possession of the correct paperwork and in light of the fact although I acknowledge a debt, I dispute the amount owing. Therefore as a compromise I will offer 50% as F&F'

As always, your help and guidance is appreciated.

Comment

stick to deadline instruction in fact they cannot put case on hold only the court can and they have not, keep copy of that letter for possible later use if needed

Comment

Make an offer at your peril. I think that would be part of mediation. Surely if you make an offer they could pass that to a judge as admitting the debt.

Comment

Originally posted by Matty B View Post
                              Make an offer at your peril. I think that would be part of mediation. Surely if you make an offer they could pass that to a judge as admitting the debt.
                              ^^^^^^ this

dont do it

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X