• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Builders Invoice Court Claim, please help!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pt2537
    replied
    Originally posted by GuyB View Post
    Thanks. So if I were to counterclaim which is my intention, his personnel assets and business assets are are not separate.
    If you were to get Judgment, then you could instruct High Court enforcement who could then sieze his assets, personal or business if he is a sole trader, yes.

Leave a comment:

• Setmefree3
    replied
    https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/...le-trader.html

Leave a comment:

• GuyB
    replied
    Thanks. So if I were to counterclaim which is my intention, his personnel assets and business assets are are not separate.

Leave a comment:

• Setmefree3
    replied
    Extract from this is money.

For sole traders, the administrative burden and the bureaucracy associated with running the business are much lower. There is less paperwork and no requirement to file annual accounts.

However, such flexibility comes at a cost. Because the sole trader and the business are not separate entities – as said, the business is the owner – the sole trader’s personal assets and the business’s assets are not separate as well. It is all in one pot.

Leave a comment:

• GuyB
    replied
    Thanks PT2357. Yes I am contracted with his company and the invoice is from his company. He is VAT registered but not LTD Company....so I believe he can issue proceedings as an individual sole trader???

Leave a comment:

• pt2537
    replied
    Yes my agreement was with his company that is VAT registered. But he appears to be taking action as an individual? And yes the £6254.84 was half the VAT I had paid on the kitchen windows and bathrooms.
    Are you saying that you contracted with his company? it seems you are but i wanted to be clear? And if so, was his company a limited company? If it was, then he cannnot pursue you in his individual capacity and as such id be considering striking out the Claim, as i cant see how it could continue

Leave a comment:

• GuyB
    replied
    I have sent request for further information and documents under CPR 18 and CPR 31.14 as suggested. I have asked the periodic invoices, copies of any quotations/agreements for the extra works and a full response to my Annex D which challenges each and every amount included in the invoice. The solicitor has acknowledged this request and said he will "take instructions and will respond shortly'

I have nearly finished a draft Defence and Counterclaim. If I post with personal information redacted can anyone have a look please?

Leave a comment:

• GuyB
    replied
    GBexile I have a professional quote and a letter to say that the shower has not been fitted in accordance with the manufacturers specification. I have additionally offered that the builder is at liberty to arrange for another quote from an Impey Installer. If this quote is for less, the builder can pay for the rectification works and I will remove this from my counter invoice....this was over a year ago and no response! I have tried to be reasonable but to no avial.

Leave a comment:

• GBExile
    replied
    GBexile, Yes I have receipt for materials and invoices for labour where this was done professionally. Where I have carried out manual work such as decoration or spreading 4 tons of shingle to make good the front drive I have charged a reasonable day's labour of £160. Some rectification works are yet to be completed such as the shower as this is £6K and I am waiting for my mortgage to come up for re-negotiation to pay for this,
    Make sure you measure up & price the works for the shower if you cannot provide professional quotes.

IE Tiling = £££ per square metre, plastering = £££ per square metre + costs of materials & shower (plus installation) etc.

You can get average prices per square metres off the net.

You cover all angles by doing this. PLUS add on all incidental expenses incurred from him walking away from the job. IE time & calls etc finding new contractors.

Leave a comment:

• GuyB
    replied
    GBexile, Yes I have receipt for materials and invoices for labour where this was done professionally. Where I have carried out manual work such as decoration or spreading 4 tons of shingle to make good the front drive I have charged a reasonable day's labour of £160. Some rectification works are yet to be completed such as the shower as this is £6K and I am waiting for my mortgage to come up for re-negotiation to pay for this,

Leave a comment:

• GuyB
    replied
    Hi Amethyst, Sorry did not see your post.

I actually payed £129,00 by bank transfer in installments throughout the job. Their were certain allowances the builder made for materials in his original quote of £150K, which I paid for direct with suppliers and so he has allowed for these against the total. It was him that came up with the total payment to date against the original £150K was £153,033.06.

The contentious area is the amounts he has invoiced me for extra works. Some were agreed as extra but he has subsequently increased many of those prices and others were never articulated as extra but I would have reasonably expected them to be part of the 'complete job' and the £150K.

Furthermore, at his suggestion, he agreed that if I had invoices made out for windows, kitchen and bathroom fittings that he would credit my account for half the value of the VAT. His final invoice makes no reference to this and he appears to wish to renege on this agreement.

You will see from my correspondence to the builder via his Debt Collection agent that I have asked for reasonable explanation of how he has calculated costs that now appear inflated. He has never responded to these requests.

Then after no commutation for 12 months, out of the blue Court Proceedings!

Yes my agreement was with his company that is VAT registered. But he appears to be taking action as an individual? And yes the £6254.84 was half the VAT I had paid on the kitchen windows and bathrooms.

Leave a comment:

• GBExile
    replied
    I take it you have all the invoices & payment details of the workmen who completed the job?

Leave a comment:

• Amethyst
    replied
    I did send an email to the solicitor last week asking for full disclosure of all evidence he intend to use to substantiate his clients claim. He refused, saying that I was trying to waste time and cost his client more money.
    Was that before or after the claim was issued ?

The document exhibited at POC3 is a breakdown of payments made. Do they add up to £150,000 or £153,033.06 ? In the POC they say you made payments of £150,000.

Originally posted by letter
    Contracted Amount: £150,000
    Contracted Works Paid: £129,000
    The original quote was £150,000

Was the £3033.06 for agreed 'extra work' over and above that agreed.

But you put you had paid £129,000.

Your defence ( your counter invoice ) seems incredibly reasonable. What does the additional work you agree with ( that wasn't already covered 3,033.06 ) come to ?

Also can you explain the VAT situation on some items please - ' he believed the VAT would cover it ' and ' Half the VAT put through xxx Building Services '

Was your contract with his company ? and payments made to his company ( and that is VAT registered )

He then proposed you paid for the kitchen, windows, bathroom but had the invoices made out to him so he could reclaim the VAT and set that off against your bill ? ( or set half off against your bill ? ) Is the £6254.84 half the VAT you'd paid on the kitchen, windows and bathroom ?

Leave a comment:

• Setmefree3
    replied
    I did send an email to the solicitor last week asking for full disclosure of all evidence he intend to use to substantiate his clients claim. He refused, saying that I was trying to waste time and cost his client more money.
    Keep all communication sent and received for future reference.

Leave a comment:

• GuyB
    replied

Leave a comment:

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
X