• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Solicitor threatening to sue for fees. Which court / type of claim will it be?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solicitor threatening to sue for fees. Which court / type of claim will it be?

Which court / type of claim / CPR part is appropriate for a solicitor who wants to recover unpaid fees of less than £1000? I dispute his entitlement to be paid at all.

Leo has so far disregarded my main grounds of dispute and instead treated it as a poor service and says I should pay half. I need to know what the costs implications might be if I reject Leos final decision (Leo is not finished just yet) and end up in court.

Perhaps I should be grateful Leo sided with me at all and settle now?

Also, will Leo's final decsion be binding or must it be accepted by one or both parties?

Thanks
    Tags: None

Sorry to bump this but does anyone know if a solicitor recovering fees would be a small claims case or is there a special court/proceedings that might be used instead?

Thanks.

(I understand that many users here are lawyers and would not think highly of fee disputes but this is an exceptional case of very poor ethics and I would not resist otherwise, so I hope you don't mind answering)

Comment

It will most likely be allocated to small claims track..... solicitors don't have a special track just for themselves!

Those professionals who post on here would not support one with poor ethical standards, so you won't upset them

Comment

You would be invited to try mediation (FOC via the court process)

It is privileged info, so cannot be used in court....a chance to safely negotiate.

LeO might well be an option.....have you pre-empted & given them a ring?
        CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
        Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
        gets his brain a-going.
        Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
        The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Thank you for answering. I was worried there might be special proceedings with high costs but I think I'm just mixed up with costs assessment proceedings. Small claims is OK.

However, I already have the case with Leo. Their initial decision has reduced the bill and they are asking if I want to pass it to the more senior 0mbudsman.
          They said they rarely change their mind so I will likely need to decide whether to accept their ruling or hold out and risk court.

Leo has not acknowledged my grounds of dispute. They said they don't have to follow legal arguments.

Is there any way to get Leo to answer my grounds rather than just giving a discount?

I would much rather Leo showed some teeth and declared who is right and wrong.

What is FOC?

Comment

Free of charge.
            CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
            Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
            gets his brain a-going.
            Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
            The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

LeO come to a conclusion on what they consider is a fair outcome, which isn't necessarily strictly in accord with the legal position.
              They rarely change their original decision and it is for you to accept or reject.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
              X