• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

*** Won *** Judgment issued, but bar subsequently put in place ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kettlaness View Post

Hi All,

As described above, my case was transferred by MoneyClaim to the local court on 17th August; I've contacted the local court in October (twice) to be told that I'd receive notification about the hearing 'within about 10 days'.

I'm getting very concerned, because the court is doing nothing of their own volition - I'm having to 'drive' the process forward myself . . . but it's now over three months on and I've still had no communication from the court. I can phone them again today, no doubt they'll tell me that I'll 'hear something in 7 to 10 days' . . . following which, I don't.

What can i do ? all i want, is my case to be heard ?
    Sadly that is how the Courts work. Its your claim your the one driving it, however nothing for three months is a little long in my book, so id suggest sending an email to the Court manager and ask them to update you on the progress of the case, if you dont get a reply in 7-10 days then email again entitling the email as FORMAL COMPLAINT that should get a reply out of the Court
    I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

court sets the times, sometimes (Most) months down the line, you are not alone

Comment

Hi All,

I have at last, been notified that the case is proceeding to a hearing, with a date set in February. Accordingly, I'll need to send a copy of my documentation to both the Court and the Defendant.

I'd appreciate it, if someone could point me in the direction of a template or 'sample' documentation that someone else might have used when submitting documentation for a civil hearing - I'm sure that I've seen this kind of thing on the forum, but when I need it, I can't find it. I just need to be sure, that I'm sending (& presenting) the documentation in the correct format. I'd also appreciate it, if someone could point me in the direction of a covering letter . . . basically, any guidance that might help me to present my documentation to its best advantage would be appreciated.

When sending the documentation to the court, should it be stapled (top left corner), comb-bound or in a ring binder ? (or something else ?)

I also have the facility to have the documentation made into a A4 document with staples down the spine (A3 sheets folded over).

Thank you all, for any replies made to this or previous queries; it is getting towards the end of the matter now and hopefully, it'll be resolved to my satisfaction. The advice, guidance and goodwill that I've received on here has provided me with the determination to see this out; what I can tell you, is that when it is all 'done & dusted', I'll still retain my membership of this forum . . . it would be nice to come on this forum and be able to 'chill out' a bit.

Thank you all.

Comment

There is an example for the Witness Statement here https://legalbeagles.info/forums/for...ness-statement

And the relevant practice direction here - https://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/pr...part32#witness

There should be detail on your hearing letter too, where it tells you when to exchange witness statements and documents by. Normally it's 14 days before the hearing.

The Claimant will need to pay a hearing fee before exchange of witness statements too.

Basically the Witness Statement introduces your documents which are attached as Exhibits.

A cover letter only needs to see 'Ref: xxxxxxxxx v Kettlaness
          Please find enclosed by way of service my Witness Statement and Exhibits for the Claim XXXXX to be heard on xxxxx 2018 at xxxxxxxxxxxxx County Court"

Copy to court and to the Claimant.

No preference on staples/binding - but easy to refer to and find documents - so top right of Exhibit pages for Exhibit references is normally a good idea.

19.1 A witness statement should:

(1) be produced on durable quality A4 paper with a 3.5cm margin,

(2) be fully legible and should normally be typed on one side of the paper only,

(3) where possible, be bound securely in a manner which would not hamper filing, or otherwise each page should be endorsed with the case number and should bear the initials of the witness,

(4) have the pages numbered consecutively as a separate statement (or as one of several statements contained in a file),

(5) be divided into numbered paragraphs,

(6) have all numbers, including dates, expressed in figures, and

(7) give the reference to any document or documents mentioned either in the margin or in bold text in the body of the statement.

19.2 It is usually convenient for a witness statement to follow the chronological sequence of the events or matters dealt with, each paragraph of a witness statement should as far as possible be confined to a distinct portion of the subject.
          #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post

There is an example for the Witness Statement here https://legalbeagles.info/forums/for...ness-statement
            Thank you for the prompt reply !

At risk of seeming incredibly dim, am I (the Claimant) considered to be a Witness, and therefore, obliged to write a Witness Statement ? I ask this, as I don't have any Witnesses - I'll be relying entirely on evidence.

Comment

You are your own witness Apologies I was in autopilot mode, but the Witness Statement is same for Claimant as for Defendant, just as Claimant YOU will have to pay the hearing fee - so check what date that needs doing by. Does your hearing letter give the information and date by which WS's need exchanging by?

Your WS will go through chronologically what happened, what comms there were, back up your defence and introduce the exhibits ( evidence ).
              #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post

YOU will have to pay the hearing fee - so check what date that needs doing by. Does your hearing letter give the information and date by which WS's need exchanging by?
                Hi,

Thnk you for the immediate reply ! The hearing fees need paying by mid-Jan and the hearing is in mid-Feb. The witness statements need to be in by 3rd Jan . . . but I'm going to have them completed and sent by registered post to arrive by THIS Friday, at the very latest. [I'm not sure if the Courts will be open on the 27th, 28th & 29th December and I'd rather not risk running into January's post.]

Comment

Hi All,

I recorded a short video footage of our cooker malfunctioning - is such evidence admissible at the Hearing ? If so, how might I submit it with my witness statement ? Presumably, I'd also have to send it to the defendant . . . but in what form ?

Or would it be a 'safer' option not to submit such evidence
                  Last edited by kettlaness; 21st December 2018, 14:40:PM.

Comment

Hi All,

I recorded a short video footage of our cooker malfunctioning - is such evidence admissible at the Hearing ? If so, how might I submit it with my witness statement ? Presumably, I'd also have to send it to the defendant . . . but in what form ?

Or would it be a 'safer' option not to submit such evidence
                    I should mention, that the video footage is not recent, but was taken at the time the claim was initiated.

Comment

Hi,

Can anyone tell me, in a small claims court, am I able to send in video evidence - perhaps, on a USB stick in a suitable format that should play on any device ?

Or would it be appropriate for me to bring it in on a laptop ?

Comment

If you want to use video evidence, the court must be informed and the defendant allowed to see the video before the hearing.
                        You may have to provide the equipment on which the video may be viewed.

Comment

https://legalbeagles.info/ is sound good discussion for the all the users.
                          LegalBeagles is a free forum offering support, discussion & help for consumers from their peers and covers mainly legal and financial issues.

Comment

Hi All,

I'm in urgent need of advice, so prompt responses would be much appreciated.

The hearing for the case in which I'm the Claimant is meant to be this Friday - 22nd February.

Today (19th February) , I've just had a letter from the Court, stating that the Defendent is unable to attend on the 22nd Feb, due to ill- health and the fact that it is their child's half-term, and in view of this, they'd either like the date to be changed, or moved to a court closer to their home.

I've been given 48 hours to make a response - which would take me to Thursday - the day before the hearing.

For what it is worth, I booked a day off work many weeks ago . . . and it is also half-term for my son.

I spoke to the court just last week, to check the parking arrangements; I asked if the defendant had submitted any documentation to the court (as I haven't had a copy from them) and it appears that they've not had anything from the defendant either. (My documentation was submitted last year - as requested by the court).

I have to notify the court in 48 hours - will it make me appear unreasonable, if I say that I won't shift the date ?

What should I do ?

Comment

Hi All,

I'm in urgent need of advice, so prompt responses would be much appreciated.

The hearing for the case in which I'm the Claimant is meant to be this Friday - 22nd February.

Today (19th February) , I've just had a letter from the Court, stating that the Defendent is unable to attend on the 22nd Feb, due to ill- health and the fact that it is their child's half-term, and in view of this, they'd either like the date to be changed, or moved to a court closer to their home.

I've been given 48 hours to make a response - which would take me to Thursday - the day before the hearing.

For what it is worth, I booked a day off work many weeks ago . . . and it is also half-term for my son.

I spoke to the court just last week, to check the parking arrangements; I asked if the defendant had submitted any documentation to the court (as I haven't had a copy from them) and it appears that they've not had anything from the defendant either. (My documentation was submitted last year - as requested by the court).

I have to notify the court in 48 hours - will it make me appear unreasonable, if I say that I won't shift the date ?

What should I do ?
                              Cant see you are being unreasonable especially as you have the same issues to overcome, theyve known about the court hearing, they should either get a lawyer or attend , i have no sympathy with people who leave it til last minute like this
                              I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

Originally posted by pt2537 View Post

Cant see you are being unreasonable especially as you have the same issues to overcome, theyve known about the court hearing, they should either get a lawyer or attend , i have no sympathy with people who leave it til last minute like this
                                Thank you for such a prompt reply; I'm just concerned, that it might reflect badly on me (in the eyes of the court) if don't offer to change the date. I should mention, I work in a school so the case being held in half-term really suits me.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                                X