• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Shop will not give me a full refund because item was 'a special order'

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shop will not give me a full refund because item was 'a special order'

I'm not sure I know what my rights are here, so I'd appreciate some advice.

I bought a pair of binoculars from a company that sells on the Internet but also has a physical shop. I bought them by ordering them on the phone after seeing on the Internet that they sold the model I was looking for - they said they did not have them in stock but would order in a pair. When they phoned me to say they had arrived, I went to the shop, paid cash and collected them.

They were very expensive - over £900. I was not satisfied with their quality so I wrote to them a few days later to say I was rejecting them and wanted a refund. This is the email I got in reply, on October 8th:

"Sorry you are not happy with the binoculars.
    Unfortunately as these were a special order for you we are unable to offer a full refund.
    We would need to sell these at a discount as they would have been used therefore we are willing to accept them back minus a 15% restocking fee .
    If you would like to return them we would refund you £772.65.

This offer stands until October 19th."

I was basing my right to a refund on the Consumer Rights Act 2015, and I felt pretty sure that if you reject an item, the seller cannot choose to hold back some of the purchase price just because the item is now 'used' - after all, you have to use an item to find out if there are any grounds for rejecting it. As for the binoculars being a 'special order', their website advertises this particular model as something it sells, but I only learned that they would have to order it in when I phoned them to buy it. Also, I am not sure a seller has the right to impose a ten-day deadline for you to accept their offer the way this company did.

So can anyone tell me where I stand legally, please?

Tags: None

The Consumer Rights Act 2015 - Citizens Advice

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk › about-us › how-citizens-advice-works

About the Act. What is happening? The Consumer Rights Act came into force on 1 October 2015. The law is now clearer and easier to understand, meaning that ...

Comment

Unfortunately as you went in to the store to pay and collect the binoculars it isn't classed as a distance contract so you only have the right to return within 30 days for a full refund if the binoculars are faulty, I'm not sure whether your unhappiness with the quality is a fault ?

Does the store have a returns policy ( is the 15% restocking fee a standard term or is it something they just made up?) ?

John Lewis ( just because it's the last place I bought binoculars from ) publish their returns policy for online and instore purchases on their website - https://www.johnlewis.com/customer-s...-refund-policy - so have a look what the stores terms are for instore purchases at the store in question.

You are better protected to order and pay online/by phone and then go to store to collect ( or let them deliver ) than to order and go in store to pay and collect, as the right to change your mind and return only applies to distance contracts.
      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X