• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

*** DISCONTINUED *** PRA Group for Ex MBNA Debt - CCJ Claim Form

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: PRA Group for Ex MBNA Debt - CCJ Claim Form - Received Today 23.02.17 - Issue Dat

Hi Charity,

Thanks for your response....

Wasn't sure on the admission bit to be frank.....perhaps (wrongly?) obvious to me given that £1 payments were being made?

There is some debate from other posters (see post 42 above) as to whether that was indeed precipitative in bringing the claim and indeed (as I had thought - see posts 40 & 41 above) forming part of the defence....as ever I will defer to wiser heads!

What form would you suggest most relevant?

Thanks,

PC Pilot

Comment

Re: PRA Group for Ex MBNA Debt - CCJ Claim Form - Received Today 23.02.17 - Issue Dat

Yep, I concur; leave as is.
      CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
      Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
      gets his brain a-going.
      Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
      The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

OK & thanks....will see if any other suggestions/comments etc. are forthcoming in case I've missed anything.....I have till deadline of 24th Mar

PC Pilot

Comment

Hi Di, Jo and all

I am sure you are all very busy with your various case loads so appreciate all input as and when you are available...

In particular in respect of the proposed defence above (post 44) I am keen to:

a) Assure that the content and presentation is an appropriate defence given my particular claim?
          b) Confirm that the admission at point 4 is an appropriate interpretation on my part of the nominal payments as previously agreed?
          c) Confirm whether at point 7 b) I need to be more specific in respect of Varde International or is this a case (as quoted elsewhere) of
          at the early stage of litigation less is more
          ?
          d) Identify if I have overlooked any other vital information for a robust defence?

Needless to say I have still not received ANY response from PRA's Legal Representative in respect of the 7 day CPR Request (now 16 days since they received the letter!) for the documents listed in the POC........do I need to chase these?.....or is that not sensible at this point?

At what date would you recommend that I lodge the defence?.......can I do this entirely online (as a pdf or word document) or will a letter be required? ......if you recall I do not currently have a working printer .....so trying to plan ahead.......I have calculated the defence deadline as 24th March (hopefully correctly!!)

Sorry to keep asking questions........just wanting to be properly prepared

Thanks again and best regards

PC Pilot

Ps. Though probably not relevant (as previously suggested) I have now received a suitable letter from the bank confirming the main points identified in post 41!

Comment

Hi again Jo, Di, all...

Feel quite rude in chasing this when you're all so busy both on here in your free time (v grateful ) so apologies for that....

Planning ahead just in case I need to draft/send letters and if so, will need to organise a printer ......unless I can post online or attach as a pdf to an email in case of court defence submission??....

Btw...Just had today's post.......still no response from PRA's Legal bod to CPR request for docs in POC.......now 11 days past 7 day deadline since they signed for it on 1st March.....

Thanks,

PC Pilot

Comment

Hi again Jo, Di/all,

I realise that I am at serious risk of becoming a real PITA but hoping you can take a look through my proposed defence (Post 44) and the points queried (Posts 49 & 50).....so sorry if the rapidly approaching defence deadline is making me too anxious.....just getting worried and desparrate to get everything right...without panicking too much

Planning ahead just in case I need to draft/send letters and if so, will need to organise a printer ......unless I can post online or attach as a pdf to an email in case of court defence submission??....
              In particular in respect of the proposed defence above (post 44) I am keen to:

a) Assure that the content and presentation is an appropriate defence given my particular claim?
              b) Confirm that the admission at point 4 is an appropriate interpretation on my part of the nominal payments as previously agreed?
              c) Confirm whether at point 7 b) I need to be more specific in respect of Varde International or is this a case (as quoted elsewhere) of "less is more at the early stages of litigation"??
              d) Identify if I have overlooked any other vital information for a robust defence?
              At what date would you recommend that I lodge the defence?.......can I do this entirely online (as a pdf or word document) or will a letter be required? ......if you recall I do not currently have a working printer .....so trying to plan ahead.......I have calculated the defence deadline as 24th March (hopefully correctly!!)
              Sorry to keep asking questions........just wanting to be properly prepared
              Thanks as always and best regards

PC Pilot

PS. Still (as yet today) no mail from PRA Group Legal Rep re CPR request docs mentioned on PoC.....

Comment

Morning xxx

4: It is admitted that the Defendant has previously entered into an agreement with MBNA Europe Bank for provision of credit.

5. Said agreement included an unsolicited provision of Payment Protection Insurance, eligibility for which was contrary to my long term health status.

6: The Claimants statement of case fails to give adequate information to enable me to properly assess my position with regards the claim.
                I'd leave out paragraph 6 as it is a little contrary to 4 and 5.

Having a read through rest and need to refresh back on your thread - so I'll just edit here with comments as I go through it.

(Just my thoughts mind!)

Righto - scrap that - as things stand you have very limited information forthcoming from the claimant - so... other issues don't even come into it yet. If they supply documents we should be okay to amend accordingly.

Amended defence below.

PROPOSED DEFENCE
                ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1: I received the claim [Claim Number XXX] from the County Court Business Centre on 23rd February 2017

2: Each and every allegation in the Claimants statement of case is denied unless specifically admitted in this Defence.

3: The Claimants statement of case fails to give adequate information to enable me to properly assess my position with regards the claim.

4: This claim appears to be for a Credit Card agreement between MBNA and myself regulated under the Consumer Credit Act 1974. The statement of case states the agreement is dated February 2003.

5: In order to find out more information regarding this Claim, on the 27th February 2017 I sent a request for inspection of documents mentioned in the claimants statement of case under Civil Procedure Rule 31.14 to Surjit Gida (Claimant's Legal Representative). I requested the Claimant provide copies of the Agreement, Default Notice, Deeds of Assignment, Notices of Assignment and Formal Demand. The Claimant mentions the agreement, Default and Notice of Assignment in their statement of case, however there is very little other information in the particulars of claim.

6. Neither the Claimant, nor the Claimant's Legal Representative have sent any of these documents to me.

7. The Claimants statement of case states that the account was assigned from MBNA to Aktiv Kapital Portfolio AS, Oslo, Zug Branch on 29th February 2012 and subsequently to PRA Group (UK) Ltd on 31st December 2014. The Defendant does not:
                a) recall receiving notice of this, or any previous, assignment.
                b) recognise the name of the assignee

8. It is denied that MBNA served any Default notice on the Defendant pursuant to s87 Consumer Credit Act 1974. The Claimant is required to prove that a compliant Default Notice was served upon the Defendant.

10. On the 27th February 2017 I sent a formal request for a copy of the original agreement to PRA Group (UK) Ltd pursuant to section 78 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 along with the statutory £1 fee.

11. The Claimant has failed to comply with s 78 (1) Consumer Credit Act 1974 and by virtue of s 78 (6) Consumer Credit Act 1974 cannot enforce the agreement.

12. Under Civil Procedure Rule 16.5 (4) Where the claim includes a money claim, a defendant shall be taken to require that any allegation relating to the amount of money claimed be proved unless he expressly admits the allegation. Therefore It is expected that the Claimant be required to prove the allegation that the money is owed as claimed.

13. No breakdown of the amount claimed, nor detail of how the amount claimed has arisen have been provided.

14. I request the court orders the Claimants to provide the necessary documentation in order for me to fully plead my case else the Claim should stand struck out.

15. I have requested the Claimant agree to an extension of time for the filing of this defence pursuant to CPR 15.5, to give them time to provide me with the relevant documents, however they have failed to respond to that request.

16. In the event that the relevant documents are received from the Claimants I will then be in a position to amend my defence, and would ask that the court orders the Claimant bears the costs of that amendment.

17. It is denied that the Claimant is entitled to the relief as claimed or at all.

Statement of Truth

The Defendant believes that the facts stated in this Defence are true.

Signed…………………………………………

Dated .................................................. ....
                Last edited by Amethyst; 20th March 2017, 11:33:AM.
                #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Ok see below. As said before, less is more. Still hang on see if anyone else has any input on it or differing thoughts.

Needless to say I have still not received ANY response from PRA's Legal Representative in respect of the 7 day CPR Request (now 16 days since they received the letter!) for the documents listed in the POC........do I need to chase these?.....or is that not sensible at this point?

No - there is no need to chase.

No need to enclose copies of letters now - that will come if you get to Witness Statements stage.

Lodge the defence when it's ready You can submit online through Moneyclaim online service, or you can print to a PDF and attach it to an email to the court ( check their latest email address on the hmcts website) You'll need the relevant headings on it aka http://legalbeagles.info/forums/atta...1&d=1407491762

We can try add in the PPI issue but tbh at the moment it is irrelevant, and you are uncertain what the claim is for, so can't be sure it is the same account. A PPI missell would really be a counterclaim....but works okay as a defence on a portion of the claim if you can evidence it. Once this is all over with you could look into making a PPI misselling complaint directly to MBNA and then to the FOS if necessary. It is quite possible though that any refund would go to the current assignee of the debt.
                  #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Hi Amethys.....and all,

Thank you for your timely and most comprehensive response, very much appreciated!

First in respect of your second post I fully agree with your suggestion
                    Still hang on see if anyone else has any input on it or differing thoughts.
                    ....though I am concerned not to leave too long as deadline Friday...

As Jo & Di both appear to have recent experience with this outfit, their litigation personnel and tactics I had hoped that their expertise/input would ensure a more robust attempt than my no doubt amateurish modification of the template That said I respect that they are very busy people no doubt burdened with a heavy caseload and so I have been rather reluctant to trouble them by PM.

I do however have a few questions (sorry) arising from your earlier posts:

a) So far as the account concerned
                    We can try to add in the PPI issue but at the moment it is irrelevant, and you are uncertain what the claim is for, so can't be sure it is the same account.
                    To clarify, I only ever had one relationship with MBNA that was this 'Homebase' branded Credit Card and whilst the balance details supplied are likely inaccurate as stated in the PoC they are broadly in the right ballpark.

On the other hand, that cannot be said of the train of supposed assignees as the correspondence I have received largely indicates that the parties have merely 'changed their name'? hence
                    c) Confirm whether at point 7 b) I need to be more specific in respect of Varde International or is this a case (as quoted elsewhere) of "less is more at the early stages of litigation"??
                    b) In respect of the PPI element if I understood Di's reference in post 24 correctly
                    Are you saying that you had been paying for PPI despite having health issues since birth? If that policy was missold (or in some cases customers didn't even know it had been added to their account) then it may well be relevant to this claim.
                    NB. Both issues quoted above (plus the fact that my employment status was 'retired') applied in this case thus identifying as miss-sold?

In order to comply with your CCA Request they would have to produce the PPI details (T's & C's) as well as the credit agreement.
                    I interpreted (probably incorrectly) that this was suggesting that the PPI element be included in the defence in so far as the documentation fails s 78 (1) as not being compliant? NB. The PPI T's & C's (from the 2009 SAR docs) were absent from the CCA provided at that point.

c) Please excuse my ignorance here what does this mean ?
                    17. It is denied that the Claimant is entitled to the relief as claimed or at all.
                    ..........is the 'relief' referred to here simply the sum claimed??

Thanks for everyone's continued patience with me

PC Pilot

Comment

Originally posted by PC Pilot View Post
                      As Jo & Di both appear to have recent experience with this outfit, their litigation personnel and tactics I had hoped that their expertise/input would ensure a more robust attempt than my no doubt amateurish modification of the template That said I respect that they are very busy people no doubt burdened with a heavy caseload and so I have been rather reluctant to trouble them by PM.
                      No need to be reluctant. If you want our help please feel free to ask for it.

Di

Comment

Thanks Di......was simply re
                        I realise that I am at serious risk of becoming a real PITA but hoping you can take a look through my proposed defence (Post 44) and the points queried (Posts 49 & 50).....so sorry if the rapidly approaching defence deadline is making me too anxious.....just getting worried and desperate to get everything right...without panicking too much
                        Your guidance much appreciated

PC Pilot

Comment

Hi to all,

Quick update....

Preparing to send my defence by email. Would be grateful if anyone could confirm that ccbcaq@hmcts.gsi.gov.uk is the correct current address to file a defence with the County Court Business Centre in Northampton? See: https://courttribunalfinder.service....ss-centre-ccbc

Have also found ccbcdefendants@hmcts.gsi.gov.uk so really confused now......see here https://www.moneyclaimsuk.co.uk/ccbc.aspx ???

Have PM'd Di with some questions on contents of defence......hope I've done that correctly, presume Di is busy....

Still no response to CPR request from PRA Legal Rep....

Thanks as ever....

PC Pilot
                          Last edited by PC Pilot; 22nd March 2017, 17:01:PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PC Pilot View Post
                            Have PM'd Di with some questions on contents of defence......hope I've done that correctly, presume Di is busy....
                            As you anticipated I was busy (in court defeating PRA )

I've replied to your PM and await your email.

Di

Comment

I hope you have kicked them into touch

Comment

Hi to All,

Sorry that there has been a considerable interval between my last post and this update but I feel it is now appropriate to bring everyone up to date and to share some very welcome news!

Concerned that aspects of my defence may have been lacking in substance such that I might not have been able to mount a successful challenge as LiP I opted to engage forum Members Jo & Di in their professional capacities via Joanna Connolly Solicitors and found their help and advice (at what was a very challenging time health wise) to be invaluable, especially as I was perilously close to the court deadlines.

A revised defence was duly submitted by Jo in March and the case handled by her firm thereafter. Despite various requests for documents (non of which adequately satisfied the information requested of them) PRA Group made clear their intent to pursue the claim and eventually I received a 'Directions Questionnaire' at the end of July seeking my availability for potential future court dates.

Then out of the blue SUCCESS !!

Today I received an email from Jo containing the latest document received from the court service advising me that PRA Group had discontinued their claim......whoooha!! Rarely could such a simple single page document (Notice of Discontinuance) mean so much to me!! It finally lifts a great weight off my shoulders.....one that on several occasions has made me ill throughout much of this year!

I would now very much like to take this opportunity to thank everyone on the Legal Beagles forum for all of their help and advice especially of course to Jo & Di, who's expertise finally brought closure to this whole distressing (and totally unnecessary) saga.

Due mention must also be given to members QC Kate and Charitynjw who's calm and understanding responses at the onset stopped me from panicking and made sure that I got things efficiently underway thus buying me valuable time to take in the magnitude of events. Credit must also go to everyone who (in quite similar circumstances) posted their support and encouragement to my thread, I truly hope you have all had equally good news in respect of your various claims/circumstances.

Finally, thanks to Amethyst for providing this wonderful resource in the first place, without which non of the success would have ever been possible and I would likely be quite ill and considerably out of pocket.....non of it bears thinking about!!

Sufficient to say bless you all for your thankless dedication of behalf of those of us who find ourselves in such a distressing position!!

My sincere thanks,

A very happy and grateful....

PC Pilot

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                                X