• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Horts Lettings

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horts Lettings

Hi i have had, problems with an old property, which i used to be a tenant at, i have contacted, Horts Lettings regarding the problems, that i have had. I have told them that i want all my rent back, and they have refused this, i have also contacted the property ombudsman, which is the best way, to get my money back, i know that i will have to seek legal help and the citizens advice bureau.
    Tags: None

Re: Horts Lettings

What were the problems you had with the tenancy and did you raise them while you were still living in the property or did you have to leave because of the problems?

You say they have refused to refund all your rent so does this mean you had problems from the day you moved in that weren't dealt with?

The Property Ombudsman deals with complaints about the conduct and performance of letting agents so that may be one route if they were managing the property on behalf of the Landlord (and were therefore responsible in some way) but normally problems with a tenancy would be fought between the Landlord and the Tenant.

A little more detail could help

Di

Comment

There was a suspected, paedophile living in the flats near me, next to a kids nursery he wasnt mentally right, a woman downstairs who wasnt right, drugs break, ins of cars, violence etc, my curtains were taken down, and had. Not been put up after a year as i could, not put them up as the curtain, rail had been ripped down, i have mentioned this, to the lettings agency, they dont care i left because the area, was really bad.

Comment

It does sound like you were living in a rather colourful neighbourhood to say the least.

However I'm not sure your Landlord (or his agent) can be held responsible for the neighbours' conduct. Did you ask to terminate your tenancy agreement early so you could find more suitable accommodation, and did your Landlord refuse to release you from the contract?

Or did you ask for a rent reduction during the time you were living there which was refused? It must be very annoying to pay rent and then feel trapped in a situation from which you can't escape. Were you claiming HB at the time?

The issue of the curtains may be a Landlord problem if it was reported to the agent who didn't deal with it in a timely manner. You say the curtains "were taken down" so who took them down (assuming they were 'up' when you moved into the property) and why was the curtain pole not fixed?

If that was the only Landlord problem then I doubt The Property Ombudsman would recommend the refund of a whole year's rent as compensation.

Was your Deposit placed in a recognised TDS scheme and did you get all that back when you left?

Di

Comment

The window company took, down the curtains and never put, them back up i mentioned to the landlord regarding this, the odd people that lived, there were paying money to the landlord, and not the lettings agency, i am not sure that it was under a tds scheme, i worked, and there was some periods. That i was getting housing, benefits and council tax reduction, when i did not work was not a nice place.

Comment

Originally posted by sloane82 View Post
            The window company took, down the curtains and never put, them back up i mentioned to the landlord regarding this, the odd people that lived, there were paying money to the landlord, and not the lettings agency, i am not sure that it was under a tds scheme, i worked, and there was some periods. That i was getting housing, benefits and council tax reduction, when i did not work was not a nice place.
            If the Landlord was responsible for taking down the curtains (his window contractors?) then he should have put them back up. That's the only issue I see in regards to compensation. How long ago was this?

I asked about HB because if you were lucky enough to get a substantial rent refund then some of that money ought to be returned to the Council's Benefits Team since they were paying the rent not you for the periods when you were in receipt of HB.

Di

Comment

I paid the rent, through my bank, the contractors, took down the curtains and ripped off the curtain rail.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X