• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Credit Card Overcharged

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Credit Card Overcharged

Hi,

Need some advice please.

My husband made a large purchase over the phone at the weekend requiring a deposit, which he put on his credit card with a low limit but more than enough for the agreed amount. Next morning we noticed they had taken twice the amount (not accidently taken twice). He rang the company instantly and the sales person apologised and has refunded the difference. At the same time I transferred an amount to cover the difference as this payment had taken him over his limit and the card had a small available balance. Last night the card looked maxed out again, which we don't know why unless they cancelled one payment and took another meaning temporarily too much on the card again. Anyway, again I transferred some more money and this morning my payments are showing on his available balance. However, the refund is not showing at all.

What can we do? The company has said the refund has been issued. We have worked very hard to get over debt and rebuild our credit scores and this was our first large purchase in yrs.

Will he get charged even though we did not authorise the amount taken and will this affect his credit score?

Thanks again

Worried2014
    Tags: None

Re: Credit Card Overcharged

First job I think is to give the Credit Card company a call and ask if the refund has been made, and explain to them what has happened - that only £XXX was authorised as the deposit and any further amounts taken are not authorised.

It shouldn't affect your credit file if you sort it out quickly as balances etc are only reported once a month or so.

Have you checked the company you are making the purchase from out fully ?
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

I posted too soon. Husband has called credit card company and they said thankfully as I had transferred enough to cover the over limit amount it has not affected his account. They cannot see the refund yet but have told him to call back at the end of the week if it still is not showing and they will help reclaim it.

Seems to easy for companies to overcharge and affect people's accounts though.

Thanks

Comment

Okay well done for calling the card company. If they had put the refund through it should show on the card companies systems as quickly as a payment - waiting till the end of the week seems a little bit of a brush off.

Have you checked the company you are purchasing from is bonafide?
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

Thanks for the reply Amethyst. We had checked out the company, great reviews. His excuse was the amount he took was the standard deposit so was automatic....not great!

Hopefully it's all sorted.

Comment

Okay xx Hopefully it was just a cock up and everything is okay, but if any more goes from your account then do not just transfer money to cover it, get on to the card company and tell them to reverse the payment and block that company taking unauthorised transactions. How are you paying the balance for the purchase ?
            #staysafestayhome

Comment

Company is definitely legit. CC company said it can take 48hrs to show up. We're just glad it has not affected his account as these things take forever to rebuild. I do think the salemans excuse was poor and it's lucky I check our accounts constantly and picked up the issue straightaway.

I hope it's just a waiting game now but will let you know if we have anymore issues with the refund

Comment

Just wanted to come back and confirm refund arrived a day or two later. Spoke to CC company about possible charges and they said because I had transferred some to cover the extra all was OK and no negative effects on the account

Thanks

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X