• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

New Car Order - Garage Registered It Without Authority

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Car Order - Garage Registered It Without Authority

Way back in March, I ordered a Seat Leon from a local car dealer for a factory order. The car was estimated to arrive at the end of May/beginning of June. During the third week of July, the dealer rang to say the car was here, but as we are now close to the "67" plate, I requested a delivery date of September 1st. They agreed and my name was placed first in the diary.

This morning, the V5 Registration Document arrived for the car from the DVLA showing it registered on 22nd July 2017 in my name which (a) Devalues the vehicle (b) means the MOT and Annual Road Tax will be due 2 months earlier than planned.

What are my rights if I now cancel the car please?
    Tags: None

Re: New Car Order - Garage Registered It Without Authority

Not so sure you've got any based on the above, but rather liabilities.

Firstly, your title is probably misleading because if you've ordered a car which needs to be factory made then they will need to register it in your name since you placed the order. Secondly, you've said the car was estimated to arrive May/June and so there was no exact delivery date. So with it being built and registered on 22nd July I would say it's still within that reasonable estimated period - it's not like it was built and registered in December!

Do you have any evidence of dealer confirming that they would replace your order with a new 67 plate?

The problem you have is that you've agreed to have the car ordered which is built specifically for you, you didn't get a specified delivery date rather it was estimated and there was no time of the essence. Unless you can prove that the dealer specifically agreed to replace your car (which would effectively be a variation to what was previosuly agreed) then you are probably going to struggle.

Presumably you were given a contract or signed some kind of order form prior to the car being ordered? The only other thing I can think of is that the order might be a distance sale but that depends on where you signed the order form or made the order.
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X