• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Potential overdue invoice, self-employed and my legal rights advice please

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potential overdue invoice, self-employed and my legal rights advice please

Hi all

I always come back here when I need great advice and have gotten loads in the past so thank you.

I am after some advice about charging interest on an overdue invoice and the Late Payment of Commercial Debts Regulations 2013

The situation is as follows:

I am self-employed and have been working for a partially sighted guy for the past 18 months on and off. I have been his Personal Assistant and helping him with admin work that he needs doing because of his partial sight-loss. I also do other general tasks such as taking him to health appointments, shopping, eating out etc.

He recently sacked me because I refused to pay a laptop repair bill of £45 that he was not happy with stating that because I recommended the guy to fix it I should feel obliged to pay for it. He then went on to say that the gardening I did back in May was not satisfactory because weeds had grown back and I should offer to take £10 off my invoice for this work. Again I refused.

Since then the emails have been getting quite derogatory and really slating me as a person and a PA. I have ignored all emails which he does not like so he sent one today saying that he will not be able to pay my June invoices until 14th August as the new PA he has coming on board is taking some holiday.

I know that he is capable of processing the invoices without a PA's help but I am sure he will claim that because of his sight he would need a PA to check it first for him.

The situation is basically that I want to play him at his own game as he is the sort of person that would be fuming if someone told him they could not pay him on time and he would seek retribution. He has various legal battles on his hands with all manner of companies and his basic thought is that if a service provider does not perform they should offer him some monetary compensation and that is what he is trying to get from me. I need to do this legally though as I am sure he would spend some time "googling" what my rights are.

I have looked on the Direct Gov website and it mentions that I could claim "Interest on late commercial payments".

The invoices are not due until the end of the month but I want to pre-empt him not paying on time by telling him what I can legally do so I need to know if I can charge him interest on the invoices if they are not paid on time. This should provoke him into paying on time as he would not want to pay the interest or do anything illegal (I am sure).

Can anyone help me with this as I am unsure as to whether the same "rules/law" apply with me being self-employed and working for an individual, not a company.

Thanks in advance.
    Tags: None

Re: Potential overdue invoice, self-employed and my legal rights advice please

Sorry no-one has managed to answer your query.

As a self-employed person you would be considered to be a business, however the PA services you have provided have been to an individual not a business therefore I do not think you can apply interest as provided for in the Late Payments legislation.
    If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
    If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Thanks for the answer. I went ahead anyway and told him I was going to charge interest and he has now paid the invoices.

Comment

I'm so pleased that the invoices were paid.
        If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

I just need to wait for him to pay the July ones now at the end of this month so we will see

Comment

Let us know how it goes - hopefully he will just pay them.

Comment

Thanks will do

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
              X