• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Court claim form from ex lodger

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Court claim form from ex lodger

I have received a N1SDT claim form (04.14) from the County Court business centre from an ex lodger, and don't know what to do as the claim is almost entirely fictional!

He was only in my house for 11 days in March and during that time it became apparent he was a liar and an alcoholic. He also brought his own portable oil radiator with him (which I asked him not to use, as my house is amply warm with the central heating). He almost immediately started stealing alcohol and food from my cupboards, and was using the radiator constantly. In the meantime I was in touch with his previous landlord, who had had similar problems and had evicted him, and had threatened to involve the police.

I asked him to leave, which he did 3 days later. I refused to refund the outstanding rent paid in order to cover the costs he incurred. After that I started getting abusive texts and phone calls from him culminating in 23 phone calls on 17 March (I was driving at the time and ignored the calls). During the course of this, I was in stationary traffic when large white van careered into me, doing considerable damage to my car, and leaving me with whiplash and hand and thumb injuries. I blocked his number and heard no more until I received this Court claim form.

The claim form says he only claimed back half the rent paid and he only got excuses from me until his phone was blocked. He also claims that in error on 10 July this year he paid £400 into my bank account, and says he phoned me on 18 July apologising and got more excuses and that I have also now blocked his work phone.

I have checked my bank account and can find no record of £400 going in on 10 July. I now don't know how to respond to the Court, as obviously I will be defending the claim.

Can I have some advice please (I have 14 days from 19 July to respond).

Many thanks.
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
X