• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Arrow/Restons

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arrow/Restons

Received a claim? Yes
    Issue Date: 11-7-2017
    Amount approx:
    Claimant: Arrow Global
    Solicitor: Restons
    Original Credit: Lloyds

Particulars of Claim:
    The Claimant claims payment of the overdue balance due from the Defendant under a contract between the Defendant and Lloyds Bank Plc dated on or about May 27 2007 and assigned to the Claimant on Nov 24 2016

Stat Barred? Yes

Have sent: Acknowledged the Claim

Other Info:

I did put some other info, but it has vanished!

This relates to OD charges incurred during a time of financial hardship (I was 17, unemployed, my mum had just died and I was living alone with no family). I entered into my unauthorised OD and was being charged £10/day for doing so. I was trying to pay it down but, obviously with those charges, the debt spiralled out of control and I couldn't pay it. Lloyds ultimately closed the account.

I did not receive any correspondence from Arrow regarding this debt. I received correspondence from Restons in May 2017 advising that they had been instructed to act for Arrow. I wrote to them and said that I did not acknowledge any debt and asked for proof of the same. They have not provided this and instead issued proceedings without further notice.

I have today acknowledged the claim and sent them this letter:
    Dear Sirs

Firstly, please find enclosed an acknowledgement of service following receipt of the Claim Form, which I was disappointed to receive in spite of my correspondence sent to you on 31st May 2017 and resent on 13th July 2017. You will note that your reply to my original correspondence was not sent until 23rd June 2017.

Secondly, I note that you have issued Court proceedings without notice of your intention to do so and your conduct will be drawn to the attention of the Court.

Thirdly, as previously stated in my correspondence x2, you have failed to provide any evidence as to my liability for the debt in question and as such, your claim will be vehemently denied.

In accordance with CPR 31.14, I formally request proof of the overdue balance, along with evidence that this contract has been “assigned” to yourselves within the next 7 days, failing which I will ask the Court to make a finding of summary judgment against yourselves, on the basis of your case as it stands, you have no grounds to pursue this matter.

I have contacted Lloyds and asked them to provide with my bank statements and the date I last paid anything into the account. Am I right in thinking that Arrow/Restons have no right of action to pursue a disputed debt? I intend to pursue Lloyds for a refund on the unfair OD charges as I know that refunds have been given recently (I think I saw an articale on Moneysaving Expert about it and I intend to pursue them for the same). I have acknowledged service with both the Claimant and the Court.

Any advice would be massively appreciated.

Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

The amount "owed" is around £3,000
    Tags: None

Re: Arrow/Restons

And I have lodged a formal complaint with Lloyds and I am presently awaiting a response

Comment

Hi toon87, welcome to LB.

In virtually every thread I've seen where the service of a Notice of Assignment has been disputed, the assignee has produced a copy of it (or rather, some document which purports to be a copy of it). Usually it is a 'file copy', on plain paper (no header/footer etc) & could have been cobbled together by anyone at any time.
      They then go on to demonstrate that NoAs are sent using (method of posting) & so, balance of probabilities/Interpretation Act (re presumption of delivery), it would have been delivered.
      Your problem, unfortunately, would be proving that to be the case (forgery?), &/or proving that you did not receive it.
      CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
      Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
      gets his brain a-going.
      Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
      The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Originally posted by charitynjw View Post
        Hi toon87, welcome to LB.

In virtually every thread I've seen where the service of a Notice of Assignment has been disputed, the assignee has produced a copy of it (or rather, some document which purports to be a copy of it). Usually it is a 'file copy', on plain paper (no header/footer etc) & could have been cobbled together by anyone at any time.
        They then go on to demonstrate that NoAs are sent using (method of posting) & so, balance of probabilities/Interpretation Act (re presumption of delivery), it would have been delivered.
        Your problem, unfortunately, would be proving that to be the case (forgery?), &/or proving that you did not receive it.
        Thanks for the reply

is is your advice to offer to settle?

Comment

@Amethyst [MENTION=98117]warwick65[/MENTION]

Comment

Hi toon.

I think we have communicated before.

It's always your decision but it concerns me a bank let you borrow at 17.

I can't remember the approx figure of the debt

You may want to have a chat with a lawyer if the debt is large

Any reputable lawyer should tell you if you have a defence during the I itial consultation. Of course if it goes to court it is down to the judge on the day.

It is no disgrace or admission to decide to settle for a mutually acceptable figure if that is what is best for you.

I have debts ranging from 200 to nearly ten times that and some I would defend and others I think I would settle although maybe not the ones you would think.

Comment

Although it might be difficult to prove that the NoA may be less than authentic, it's worth bearing in mind that usually neither Arrow nor Restons, at this stage of the game, have much of a clue as to how their claimed debt has been calculated.
              If it were me I'd ask them exactly that (via Restons).
              I'd also SAR Lloyds for all data held.
              Btw, which 'Arrow' is named on the court claim form? (Exact name of Claimant)
              CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
              Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Originally posted by charitynjw View Post
                Although it might be difficult to prove that the NoA may be less than authentic, it's worth bearing in mind that usually neither Arrow nor Restons, at this stage of the game, have much of a clue as to how their claimed debt has been calculated.
                If it were me I'd ask them exactly that (via Restons).
                I'd also SAR Lloyds for all data held.
                Btw, which 'Arrow' is named on the court claim form? (Exact name of Claimant)
                The debt is around £3k.
                It's Arrow Global Limited.

I know I incurred OD charges and that some money is owed, my dispute is the amount. I was in severe financial hardship at the time, being charged £10/day for being in the unauthorised OD. It spiralled and ofc there was not possible way I could pay it back.

Comment

If it were me I'd write to AG via Restons, stating that. while there is no admission of liability, due to the possibility of unfair charges being applied, a detailed breakdown of the sum allegedly owed is required.

I wouldn't mention the SAR to Lloyds.

As always, get proof of posting.
                  CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                  Phelps, C. C.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                  See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                  X