• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Received Court letter 'The Simple Procedure' (Scotland)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Received Court letter 'The Simple Procedure' (Scotland)

Hi i am looking for some advice on what to do with a court letter have received. It is from an old credit card from Aqua which i had taken out back in 2013. The Claimant is now Arrow Global Limited who i assume has now purchased the debt. I have until 11.08.17 to reply.

Issue Date:
    Amount approx:
    £2288.42
    Claimant:
    Arrow Global Limited
    Solicitor:
    Shoosmith LLP
    Original Creditor:
    Aqua Credit Card (NewDay Ltd)
    Particulars of Claim:
    The claimants are a finance company which inter alia operates the business of debt purchasing. By virtue of a debt purchase agreement ('the agreement') between the claimants and Newday Ltd ("the original owner") dated 18/10/2016, the claimant acquired title to and was assigned the right to payment in respect of all debts and other monetary claims of any nature due or owing by the respondent to the original owner which were in existence as at the date of the Agreement, and in particular in relation to the contract hereinafter condescended upon. The said assignation was intimated to the respondent by the way of a written notice on or around 18/10/2016. The agreement between the respondent and the original owner upon which this action is based was regulated under the Consuer Credit Act 1974. Further information in relation to that agreement is contained in section D4, where we set out the sums due and the basis which the fell due.

The Said contract between the original owner and the respondent is a regulated credit green in terms of section 189 f the consumer credit act 1974. it is dated 20/02/2013 and relates to a credit card issued by the original owner for Aqua credit card with the account number: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx. on numerous occasions between 20/02/2013 and 30/01/2015 the respondent utilised the credit facility created under said agreement by purchasing goods and services on credit using the facility. It was a term of the agreement that the original owner would use statements in relation to the account on a monthly basis upon which would be stated the current balance the minimum payment which required to be made in terms of the said agreement and the date by which said payment required to be made. By the nature of the said agreement payment to be made each month fluctuated from month to month depending on use. The last payment made by the respondent thereunder was made on 27/05/2014 in the sum of £110.00. It was a term of said agreement that failure to meet and payment on a due date would render the account in default and would entitle the claimant to serve notice of default on the respondent requiring the respondent to remedy the breach within 14 day failing which the agreement would be terminated. on or around 30/01/2015 the respondent failed to make payment of a sum which had failed due and the said account thereby entered into default. A default notice was issued to the respondent on 30/01/2015. The respondent failed to remedy the default following upon service of the said notice and the account was accordingly terminated in accordance with that notice. The account remains in default. The sum due in terms of the said agreement amounts to £2288.42. The right to receive payment of the sums due in terms of the said account vests in the claimant.

The form asks what documents they may bring to court to support the claim and they have listed..
    A copy of the credit agreement, statements of account and notice of assignation will be produced in any defended process to follow hereon.

Is the debt Statute Barred?
    No
    List any letters you have sent: None Yet

Sorry for the long post but i am unsure on how to proceed with this. Should i just admit it and offer some sort of monthly payment? What would be a reasonable offer? I am not sure if they have all the original documents and no evidence was attached to the letter but as above they said the will be produced in court if i defend the case. I am not 100% sure but i think i might have signed an online credit agreement at the time so i assume they will still have a copy of this.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Tags: None

Re: Received Court letter 'The Simple Procedure' (Scotland)

First Steps

CPR 31.14 Request CCA Request

Comment

Originally posted by MIKE770 View Post
      CPR 31.14 doesn't apply to claims in Scotland which is a different legal jurisdiction.

Di

Comment

While your claim (Citation) may be outside of the England and Wales legal jurisdiction the Consumer Credit Act still applies.

So if you have not already sent a s 77-79 CCA Request to Arrow then do that now.

This forum has a template here > http://legalbeagles.info/forums/show...=7670#post7670

Di

Comment

Originally posted by Diana M View Post
          CPR 31.14 doesn't apply to claims in Scotland which is a different legal jurisdiction.

Di
          Should i only send the CCA request then? would there be no point in the CPR request? How can i requested a copy of the evidence they intend to bring to court? I just want to make sue they have everyone before i admit to the claim.

Comment

Can anyone advise the process for Scotland please?

Comment

There's a whole section of a website dedicated to that.
              http://www.scotcourts.gov.uk/rules-a...rocedure-rules

You may want to take special note of disclosure rules. (Part 10).
              CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
              Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
              gets his brain a-going.
              Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
              The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Hi my firm is currently defending a number of actions in Scotland for clients including Simple Procedure cases - feel free to private message me.

- - - Updated - - -

PS Its quite possible you might have a complete defence to the claim.

Comment

[MENTION=45569]ScottishSolicitor[/MENTION] - it's best to keep any help to the public forum rather than in private message please. Thank you.

Do you know of a publicly available good resource / guide for helping defendants in Simple Procedure cases ?
                  #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Hi [MENTION=6]Amethyst[/MENTION] - guidance can be found here - https://www.scotcourts.gov.uk/taking...mple-procedure

Comment

Thanks SS What is it with courts, they always aim any guidance at claimants, MCOL does it too, very limited for defendants. No wonder 87% of claims go to default judgment.

Originally posted by scotcourts.gov
                      How do I respond to a claim?
                      If a claim is made against you, the first formal notice you will receive is a copy of the completed claim form. Contained in the same envelope will be a response form (Form 4A). This usually comes by recorded delivery post but you may also receive it from a sheriff officer.
                      The claim form contains the details of the claim made against you. If you wish to either:
                      1. dispute the claim,
                      2. admit liability for the claim and ask the court for time to pay; or
                      3. admit liability for the claim and settle it before the last date for a response

you should fill in Form 4A and send it to both the court and the claimant by the last date for a response.
                      Part 4 of the simple procedure explains how you respond to a claim and what the court will do with your response.
                      Part 5 explains how you may ask for time to pay if the claim is for payment of a sum of money and how the claimant can consent or object to that.
                      Please note that staff in the Scottish Courts and Tribunals Service cannot give you legal advice, although they can help you to understand court procedures. You may wish to consult with and be represented in court by a solicitor, lay representative or courtroom supporter. Part 2 of the simple procedure explains about representatives and what they may and may not do.
                      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                      See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                      X