• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Help needed please Restons CCJ Threat

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Help needed please Restons CCJ Threat

Hi All,

I need to submit my defence this week so just wondered if you would mind taking a quick look to see if I've missed anything...
    The last I have heard from Arrow re CCA is they will request from OC and all collection activity will be suspended pending provision of the documents. They returned the £1 fee. Should I state this in my defence?

Copy of defence below;
    DEFENCE
    I received the claim ******** from the Northampton County Court on 29th June 2017.

Each and every allegation in the Claimants statement of case is denied unless specifically admitted in this Defence.

This claim appears to be for a Credit Card agreement regulated under the Consumer Credit Act 1974.

The Claimants statement of case fails to give adequate information to enable me to properly assess my position with regards the claim.

The Claimants statement of case states that the account was assigned from HSBC to Arrow Global Limited on **** The Defendant does not recall receiving notice of this assignment.

It is denied that HSBC served any Default notice on the Defendant pursuant to s87 Consumer Credit Act 1974. The Claimant is required to prove that a compliant Default Notice was served upon the Defendant.

On the **** I sent a request for inspection of documents mentioned in the claimant’s statement of case under Civil Procedure Rule 31.14 to Restons Solicitors Limited. I requested the Claimant provide copies of the Contract and notice of Assignment. Restons Solicitors Ltd has not sent any of those documents to me.
    On the **** I sent a formal request for a copy of the original agreement to Arrow Global Limited pursuant to section 78 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 along with the statutory £1 fee.
    The Claimant has failed to comply with s 78 (1) Consumer Credit Act 1974 and by virtue of s 78 (6) Consumer Credit Act 1974 cannot enforce the agreement.

I have asked the Claimant if we may agree to extend the time period allowed for filing of my defence pending receipt of documents (as allowed under CPR 15.5), but they have not confirmed acceptance of this.

Under Civil Procedure Rule 16.5 (4) Where the claim includes a money claim, a defendant shall be taken to require that any allegation relating to the amount of money claimed be proved unless he expressly admits the allegation. Therefore, it is expected that the Claimant be required to prove the allegation that the money is owed as claimed.
    I request the court orders the Claimants to provide the necessary documentation in order for me to fully plead my case else the Claim should stand struck out.
    In the event that the relevant documents are received from the Claimants I will then be in a position to amend my defence, and would ask that the Claimants bear the costs of the amendment.
    It is denied that the Claimant is entitled to the relief as claimed or at all.

Statement of Truth
    The Defendant believes that the facts stated in this Defence are true.
    Signed ***
    Dated 23rd July 2017

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated, thanks!
    Last edited by Anne34; 23rd July 2017, 11:51:AM.

Comment

Paras should be numbered.
      Space them (1.5 or double-space.
      If it were me I'd definitely note in the defence that the CCA request was rejected contrary to s189 Consumer Credit Act 1974, which clearly states that an assignee becomes the creditor for the purpose of the Act.
      CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
      Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
      gets his brain a-going.
      Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
      The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Thank you for your response :-)
        I will amend as per above.

Was the CCA rejected on the basis they do not have it so have been unable to provide within 12 days?
        Sorry - am just checking I understand what I am submitting...

Comment

Having re-read the defence I have included the following para, would this not mean the same as you suggested?

9. The Claimant has failed to comply with s 78 (1) Consumer Credit Act 1974 and by virtue of s 78 (6) Consumer Credit Act 1974 cannot enforce the agreement.

Sorry for all the questions just want to make sure I get it right!

Comment

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who took the time to help me and provide advice :-)
            I have submitted my defence so waiting to see what happens next...

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
            See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
            X