• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

section of the 1998 Data Protection Act

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• section of the 1998 Data Protection Act

Hi Folks,

Basically I am have a complaint in progress with my local council, about a breech of the data protection act, my question is;

Where in the 1998 Data Protection Act does it forbid / disallow a data controller to give 'sensitive information' to a un-authorised third party

I know it's there somewhere but i cant seem to find it........

Any ideas??
    Tags: None

Re: section of the 1998 Data Protection Act

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1998/29/schedule/3 ?
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Hello Him and Her and welcome to legal Beagles.

Would it be possible to give a brief Idea as to what this complaint refers to, of course removing any Identifiers of yourself and the council involved. It would help tremendously .

Comment

Here's a basic outline,

I completed a severe mental health impairment form (relates to council tax) (as i have a qualifying condition) the form was duly sent to my gp for verification (no problem so far) then the discount was awarded 25% off council tax, my problem starts when the council sent a completed copy of the form to a third party.

said council are trying to wriggle out of admitting any wrong doing

Comment

Who was it disclosed to? ( was it another council / govt dept or an outside company/person )
          #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Originally posted by him and her View Post
            Here's a basic outline,

I completed a severe mental health impairment form (relates to council tax) (as i have a qualifying condition) the form was duly sent to my gp for verification (no problem so far) then the discount was awarded 25% off council tax, my problem starts when the council sent a completed copy of the form to a third party.

said council are trying to wriggle out of admitting any wrong doing
            Does the third party involve an Employer or landlord ? By the way you do not have to answer that question if you do not feel comfortable in doing so.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
            Who was it disclosed to? ( was it another council / govt dept or an outside company/person )
            sorry our posts crossed

Comment

outside person, council are saying;

LGFA 1992, s.6(4), as amended by s. 74 Local Government Act 2003 (effective 1/4/04)

Civil Partnership Act 2004, Sch 27, para. 140

SI 1992/613 The Council Tax (Administration and Enforcement) Regulations 1992

gives them permission to send a completed copy of the form to this third party

Comment

LGFA 1992, s.6(4), as amended by s. 74 Local Government Act 2003 (effective 1/4/04)

We do not know who the third party is....

However if they are not regulated by the Data Protection Act or the rights under this Act then something is wrong somewhere

Comment

May I ask. without infringing on your personal circumstances, why you feel that this has breached the data principles and how this has effected your rights.

It may help with helping you
                  Last edited by jon34; 7th July 2017, 15:19:PM. Reason: addenum

Comment

I'd ask the same as Jon, those sections don't give the authority the right to disclose the information, I suspect they may be using them to justify why the disclosure was made rather than answer your complaint about the disclosure. You said you have a complaint ongoing - are you in discussion with the ICO at all while going through the complaint process ?
                    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

My argument is without either my permission, a judges order, a law authorising them or a power of attorney. The council should not be sending my data anywhere full stop.

Feel free to tell me if i am missing something...

- - - Updated - - -

yes, the ico are involved but until the complaint has runs it's course, the ico will not step in..

Comment

They are entitled to share with, for example, the Housing Benefit department, Audit Commission and so on.

They wouldn't be allowed to send a copy of the form you completed to, for example, your employee or your landlord etc.
                        #staysafestayhome

Comment

I understand they will send data to different departments within the council, I have no problem with this, My issue begins when the third party is a individual who in my opinion should not have been sent a completed copy of this form.

Comment

Okay. Once the council have given their final response the ICO can get involved. However if the council are continuing to disclose your data the ICO should be able to get involved immediately. The type of data and circumstances in which it can be disclosed is covered by sch 3 of the data protection act and the principles in full are in sch 1.
                            #staysafestayhome

Comment

I understand they will send data to different departments within the council, I have no problem with this, My issue begins when the third party is a individual who in my opinion should not have been sent a completed copy of this form.

Is this an Individual within the council ? Or an Individual outside the scope of the Data Protection Act .? .

May I ask ? could this be in relation to an abusive Ex Partner. If so then I can appreciate the answers . If that is the case I can understand your reluctance to give further info. But you are going to be helped out

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X