• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Caught shoplifting?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caught shoplifting?

I'm aware this was extremely stupid of me and trust me it's not happening again.

Yesterday I was in Superdrug and I, for some reason, decided to steal. This is extremely unlike me, I have never been in trouble at school or with the police, have perfect grades and I'm not sure why I did it.

Anyway, once i left the store a man ran up to me and asked me to come back into the store and led me to a back room. I have extreme panic disorder and asthma (a wonderful mix) and i was in complete shock so when he first asked me age i didn't even hear him because my ears were ringing. He led me into the room and asked me to give him my bags, coat and to sit on a chair. He searched through my bags (which had lip liners from boots in which i also stole, i know, i'm stupid) and he took everything that i'd taken from superdrug. By time he'd finished i was a complete mess, crying and apologising and begging him not to call the police - to which he laughed at. He then said "i'm going to have to because you aren't complying" to which i was like what and he mentioned he'd asked my age and i hadn't replied - to which i was thrown back into hysterics repeating my name and 16 over and over again. He radioed over to the boots and asked them to send one of their security down and began asking my details. I was trying to answer but he couldn't understand me through my tears and gasping and said "can you just calm down, you've not committed murder you've been caught shoplifting" and he asked (and i managed to tell him) my address, my full name, my previous school, my dads number, what he works as and my dads full name. He tried to call my dad but it went straight to voicemail to which he started accusing me of giving him false information (which i hadn't). At this point i couldn't breathe and was trying to tell the two floor workers that were in the room (a female and a male) that i had an extreme panic disorder and needed inhalers, to which the security guard replied "stop being stupid you just need to calm down"

They never took photos, asked me to sign stuff or anything like that.

The total of the items from superdrug were around £30, and around £16 for the boots. I told him that my mum is out of work for post maternal depression and my dad is a minimum wage delivery driver providing for a family of 5 - so there's no way we can pay a fine and he just laughed at me. They never attempted to help with the inhaler, and he kept taunting me about how i'm selfish and the fact that i'm going to make my mums depression worse for what ive done.

They eventually let me go with a lifetime ban from both stores, a piece of tissue and told me "i suggest you go home now because we have police cameras everywhere and will watch where you go".

As I mentioned, I'm 16 and start college in September. My dad has a history of being rough with me (putting his fist to my face, shoving me around, threatening to disown me / send me away) so if he finds out i have absolutely no idea what he will do. We cannot afford any fines, especially being on benefits, my mother out of work and a 1 year old to care for, it's simply not an option.

I realise what i did was wrong, and it's completely unlike me. I have a few questions for whoever can answer them;
    1). Are they allowed to deny me first aid when asked for it?
    2). Will I be fined? the police were never actually called and the total wasn't significant, the items were returned in perfect, sellable condition.
    3). Will i get a letter about it? My parents really cannot find out
    4). Will this affect future employability, uni etc? I'm starting at the best college in my city in september and i'm worried they'll be notified or something and i'll be kicked out.

Thank you for any information in advance.
    Last edited by agenda; 7th July 2017, 04:10:AM.
    Tags: None

Re: Caught shoplifting?

Panic no more its over now others on here will come on to advise you now no police were involved so no contact will be made to any future college or employer.

Comment

Goodness, what an awful experience for you. A little humanity wouldn't bloody hurt. Hardly crime of the millennium.

The Police were not called, there is no criminal record to worry about and it will not be informed to your college - well done on getting yourself into a good college btw, sounds like you are doing the best you can to improve things in bad circumstances. You've got through your GCSE's ( good luck with the results on those) and it's a really strange time of life at the moment. I have a 16 and a 17 year old Daughter, one just finished GCSEs and off to college in Sept and one just finished College and off to Uni. They're really odd head wise at the moment too... sun and hormones... lol.

Now, you are likely to get a letter - I'm not sure on Superdrug, but Boots use RLP (retail loss prevention) to try and intimidate customers into paying money following an allegation of shoplifting. Normally there's 4/5 letters before they slink away.

You can read the letters at the top of the Civil Recovery forum - so you know in advance what they will say, more or less. They sound all scary and end of the worldy, but they are just toilet paper in reality. You should also have a look through other posts where people have had similar experiences to you. You'll note no one has been to court or had their job affected.

My concern is that they do have history on writing to parents - they shouldn't, but as you have given them your dad's info it is a possibility. They might not, but they might, and you don't want to spend the next 8 weeks panicking everytime the postman arrives.

Are you the eldest of your siblings? anyone else you can talk to and approach your parents about it together maybe?

You could go through postings on here and gather together information, or ask your parents to come on here, then of course they will be upset about the shoplifting, but at least the RLP ''fine'' side of things wouldn't be a worry so much for them.
      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Hi and welcome.

The police will not be involved.
        The Superdrug security should not have searched your bags.
        They should not have interviewed you without an appropriate adult being present
        They should have taken more care of you and taken your condition seriously, and allowed access to your medication

If I was your father there would be serious complaints being made to Superdrug CEO.

There will be letters, probably from an outfit called Retail Loss Prevention
        They will demand a substantial amount of money, and dress the demand up in legalese jargon.
        These letters, although scary, can be ignored.
        In spite of their threats about court action, they never now initiate court action.

Regarding your father's reaction, I have little advice.
        Can you not speak to your mother first?
        Tagging @PAWS for advice

Further comments below in red
        Originally posted by agenda View Post
        I'm aware this was extremely stupid of me and trust me it's not happening again.

Yesterday I was in Superdrug and I, for some reason, decided to steal. This is extremely unlike me, I have never been in trouble at school or with the police, have perfect grades and I'm not sure why I did it.

Anyway, once i left the store a man ran up to me and asked me to come back into the store and led me to a back room. I have extreme panic disorder and asthma (a wonderful mix) and i was in complete shock so when he first asked me age i didn't even hear him because my ears were ringing. He led me into the room and asked me to give him my bags, coat and to sit on a chair. He searched through my bags( not allowed !) (which had lip liners from boots in which i also stole, i know, i'm stupid) and he took everything that i'd taken from superdrug. By time he'd finished i was a complete mess, crying and apologising and begging him not to call the police - to which he laughed at. He then said "i'm going to have to because you aren't complying" to which i was like what and he mentioned he'd asked my age and i hadn't replied - to which i was thrown back into hysterics repeating my name and 16 over and over again. He radioed over to the boots and asked them to send one of their security down and began asking my details. I was trying to answer but he couldn't understand me through my tears and gasping and said "can you just calm down, you've not committed murder you've been caught shoplifting" and he asked (and i managed to tell him) my address, my full name, my previous school, my dads number, what he works as and my dads full name. He tried to call my dad but it went straight to voicemail to which he started accusing me of giving him false information (which i hadn't). At this point i couldn't breathe and was trying to tell the two floor workers that were in the room (a female and a male) that i had an extreme panic disorder and needed inhalers, to which the security guard replied "stop being stupid you just need to calm down" (unacceptable behaviour by superdrug employees)

They never took photos, asked me to sign stuff or anything like that.

The total of the items from superdrug were around £30, and around £16 for the boots.(all recovered) I told him that my mum is out of work for post maternal depression and my dad is a minimum wage delivery driver providing for a family of 5 - so there's no way we can pay a fine and he just laughed at me. They never attempted to help with the inhaler, and he kept taunting me about how i'm selfish and the fact that i'm going to make my mums depression worse for what ive done.( abusive and totally unacceptable bullying behaviour)

They eventually let me go with a lifetime ban from both stores, a piece of tissue and told me "i suggest you go home now because we have police cameras everywhere and will watch where you go".

As I mentioned, I'm 16 and start college in September. My dad has a history of being rough with me (putting his fist to my face, shoving me around, threatening to disown me / send me away) so if he finds out i have absolutely no idea what he will do. We cannot afford any fines, especially being on benefits, my mother out of work and a 1 year old to care for, it's simply not an option.

I realise what i did was wrong, and it's completely unlike me. I have a few questions for whoever can answer them;
        1). Are they allowed to deny me first aid when asked for it? (NO!)
        2). Will I be fined? the police were never actually called and the total wasn't significant, the items were returned in perfect, sellable condition.(no> police will not be informed. (There will be no court case. There will be no fine)
        3). Will i get a letter about it? My parents really cannot find out (Most likely yes, a demand for money. They may even write directly to your parents as you are only 16. They should not as it is a breach of your rights, but that doesn't meanthey won't as they will be trying to screw money from you!)
        4). Will this affect future employability, uni etc? I'm starting at the best college in my city in september and i'm worried they'll be notified or something and i'll be kicked out.(No affect on your life. no criminal record ... just have to buy your cosmetics elsewhere for a time!)

Thank you for any information in advance.
        Last edited by des8; 7th July 2017, 08:15:AM. Reason: crossed with Ame

Comment

Thank you Des. It's fine crossing I was going to tag you anyway, I just wanted to hopefully set agenda's mind at rest a little xxx
          #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

I am so sorry for not responding sooner – all sorts of reasons which I won’t bore you with.
            Anyway…Agenda, I hope you are OK and heed the advice given on here as it is sound and based on great knowledge and experience. As for your Dad’s reaction, well I wish I could point out to him what an incredible daughter he actually has. If this is the worst thing you do then he is one of the luckiest parents in the world. You are not stupid and you know what you did was basically wrong but let’s get a little sense of perspective here. You are heading to college, you want to make a success of your life and no way should you let this ruin your plans!
            Now I would not dare give you the old rot usually doled out by ‘experts’ (who often know FA about FA) which starts with ‘I am sure if you sat down with your dad and explained…bla, bla, bla’ because I live in the real world and know we do not all live under the caring wing of Papa Perfect. When you say you believe your dad’s reaction will be bad I believe you as you know him best.
            Now from what we know of this RPL scum they may contact your Dad and we all wish we could prevent that but it is best to be prepared. Due to my late response, this may have already happened.
            Please please try and roll with his reaction. He will probably go ballistic and fretting is not going to change that but do not lose sight of who and what you are. You are someone with plans and ambitions.
            This is a small episode and point in your life. It will fade. It always does. It will not change the course of your life. You will not be marked for life by it. You will not be deemed a failure.
            Right now, you live by your Dad’s rules and you cannot change that. What you can do is decide how they affect you and the rest of your life.
            My advice would be take the ranting. You can explain what you have learned on here about RPL and the consequences if you want /can and remember if you are physically harmed or feel seriously under threat of physical abuse your Dad will be the law breaker -Not you.
            So, forget the RPL legal rubbish because as the clever beagles know they are all wind and just ride out the storm at home. I know it won’t be easy but you can do it and don’t ever, ever lose sight of your life goals and the good times to come.

An optimist is someone who falls off the Empire State Building, and after 50 floors says, 'So far so good'!
            ~ Anonymous

Comment

hello, i too was caught shoplifting. i had £30 worth of products. i was caught by a security guard and the items were given back. only one of them were in non saleable condition. the police were called and they said no further action would be taken. and the manager also wanted no further action taken apart from a lifetime ban. but the security guard still went through with RLP.

i was sent a letter by rlp asking me to pay £159. i ignored it. and now i got another letter from RLP asking for it again and said to reply within 14 days or further action may be taken. what do i do? im 18 and a student so i cant really afford a fine this hefty. do i just reply and cough up the money or can these letters be safely ignored? im really worried they will take me to court and put me in prison. someone please help asap since im very scared and do not know what to do. thanks

Comment

Hi there.
                What do you do?
                Easy... ignore them.
                Firstly you would never go to prison in the UK for such a small offence, even if criminal charges were brought.
                As it is the police are taking no further action, so any court action would be in a civil court and you wouldn't land up in jail from there, even if the retailer (not RLP) decided to sue you.
                The retailer won't sue, as any costs they could possibly recover are far smaller than the cost of going to court.

There are many posts on LB and other forums about RLP all advising to ignore.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X