• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Collectica

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Collectica

Hi.

In May 2014 I was fined for not having a tv licence at my previous address. I knew nothing about it until last month. Apparently all correspondence was sent to my old address. I haven't been hiding, in fact without realising, until September 2016 payments for this fine were coming out of my income support every fortnight. I no longer claim income support but I'm a full time carer to my son.

Ok so the Collectica letter said I owed £390. I emailed the court and after much to ing and fro ing I've paid £150 to Collectica in 3 payments. Tonight a bloke knocks the door and informs me I can't have a payment plan at all, I have to pay the remaining amount asap.

The letter I received in June said £390 owed. His ipad thingy said it was £340. On their website it said £390. Anyway, I told him I've got nothing till Tuesday and I can try to pay the rest. I told him no one in this house works, I'm on carers allowance. He did not step foot inside the door. To be honest he looked more scared of me than I did of him!

What I really want to know is, can they realistically refuse an offer of £50 a week? Or am I just going to have to scrape this money together by Tuesday to avoid them coming back because I don't think it'll be the same person coming. Im pretty sure itll be someone bigger and less polite.

I'd also like to say, if I knew about this fine I would have paid it a long time ago. With 3 kids, one of which is disabled, I try to avoid this kind of thing happening for obvious reasons. I'm not frightened, I just want to know if I have to feed the family beans on toast for a week to get this thing out of the way or if u can spread the cost.

Thank you for any replies.
    Tags: None

Re: Collectica

I don't understand why you say you knew nothing of this until last month but have been making payments from your Benefits up to September last year?

Comment

I didn't know why deductions were being made to my income support, so I didn't know what it was for. I did ask at the jobcentre but they said they didn't know either.

Comment

Usually in a situation like yours you can make a Statutory Declaration to the Court about being unaware of the fine but you have to do this within 21 days of becoming aware - I suspect you are past this now. You should still contact the Court - the one you were convicted at - and explain that you have just learned you could make a Stat Dec but were not aware of the time constraints. You should also point out that you were not means tested either so may have been fined more than you can afford. You should do this tomorrow morning. Please ensure you inform them everything went to an old address.

Comment

Thank you very much

Comment

Let us know how you get on, you may need to speak to the Court Manager or Fines Officer rather than whoever just answers the phone.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X