• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

**DISCONTINUED**Witness Statement not received - Court Date 14/07/17

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Witness Statement not received - Court Date 14/07/17

extra shown i.e. court cost?

Comment

Hi Mike770,

I'm not too sure of the question you are asking. If you asking if they have given me a breakdown of the debt including court costs then not that I can find.

Another interesting point is at the end of their 'Background' section they have put:

The Defendant failed to respond to any of the letters therefore the Claimant instructed solicitors to assist in the recovery of the outstanding debt. Legal proceedings were issued to recover the assigned balance of £700.43, plus £56.03 interest at the County Court rate but capped at one year, the claim therefore totalling £756.46.

I don't understand this bit because on their letters to me they claim the balance to be over £7000 not £700.

Comment

The claim they have issued is for around £9000 isn't it ?

Do the numbers seem like a 0 is missing ( eg £7004.30 ) or have they just used a cut paste of someone elses WS and not changed it.

So no notice of assignment, default notice, terms and conditions etc ?

Can you scan in the agreement pls ( redact personal info )
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

The original amount is £7808.12. After fees and costs etc. it puts it just over £9000.

I thought they may have missed a 0 off but that doesn't seem the case. It looks like they have cut and paste from another claim.

Comment

In that case how do you, or the court, know the rest of the Witness Statement, including the exhibits, aren't related to a completely different account / claim etc.

The Claimant has requested with the permission of the Court to adjourn the hearing of 14 Jul 2017 to allow the Assignor to provide documents as requested by the Claimant. The Claimant therefore reserves the right to file and served an amended statement of case upon receipt of these documents.
            So they haven't provided everything they need and are trying to get themselves more time.... and have send any old faff to comply with the order.... anything else in that WS which doesn't relate to yours, dates etc. You already said the account number doesn't relate.

You can reply to the WS with a further WS ... which might want to say ' they've had enough time, their WS is crap and the docs don't evidence anything' .... ( but in a nice way of course) Might need to be a little tactical here.... [MENTION=87380]Diana M[/MENTION];

If you can scan in the WS and attached docs it would be really helpful.

When was the original claim issued btw?
            #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

Makes one wonder who actually signed the witness statement. As its supposed to be a statement of truth. The question is how can it be so, as the facts are materially different ie £ 700+ as opposed to the particulars of claim £9000 ?

Comment

I've attached the witness statement and taken my details off. Let me know if you would like me to attach the exhibits:

RC1 - Is the unsigned credit agreement with a different account number.
                RC2 - Is a letter from Lowell notifying Lloyd's has assigned all respective rights to them and a letter introducing them to me
                RC3- Is 5 letters offering their 'help' and telling me to call them etc.

The original claim from the County Court Business Centre was dated 21st September.
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Head_Burried View Post
                  One other question I have is the last paragraph in their Statement says: The Claimant has requested with the permission of the Court to adjourn the hearing of 14 Jul 2017 to allow the Assignor to provide documents as requested by the Claimant. The Claimant therefore reserves the right to file and served an amended statement of case upon receipt of these documents.

What exactly does this mean? Will it be adjourned?
                  They are asking the court to adjourn the hearing and also give them permission to amend the Particulars of Claim.

You need to establish whether they've made an Application to that effect or whether they plan to deal with the issue at the start of the hearing (request an Adjournment and seek permission to amend the POC).

I expect it's the latter.

Di

Comment

Hi Diana M,

If it is the latter would the judge automatically allow it to be adjourned?

I feel they have had enough time to find any documents they need. When I attend on the 14th will I get chance to highlight the incorrect information in their Witness Statement and Exhibits?

Surely it's against my interest for the case to be adjourned not only because it will allow them extra time to prepare correctly but also it means I will need to take another day off work and it's more time that I am worried and stressed about what the outcome may be.

In your opinion would I be better just to attend court or reply to their Witness Statement prior to attending?

Comment

So they have had nearly a year to produce documents.

Para 17 has the correct amount of interest ( £657 ? )

They don't seem to have mentioned what the agreement was actually for in their statement, nor what the breach was and of what term.

Can you scan in the agreement pls
                      #staysafestayhome

Comment

Yes, I have been requesting the documents for 10 months.

And yes, it does look like they have got the interest correct in Para.17

I've attached the Agreement. Like I mentioned previously my name is barely readable and you definitely can't make out the number of the my street.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Has this claim at any point been stayed ?.

I only ask because para 18 of the witness statement refers to your defence dated 15th Oct 2016. I know the court system can at times run slowly but it appears that 9 months have elapsed form your defence upto the witness statement. Or am I missing something here ?

- - - Updated - - -

One further question. How close is this to becoming statute barred ?

Comment

Originally posted by jon34 View Post
                            One further question. How close is this to becoming statute barred ?
                            Legal proceedings have already been issued. The Statute Barred clock stops when a claim is issued.

The hearing is listed for 14th July.

Di

Comment

Originally posted by Diana M View Post
                              Legal proceedings have already been issued. The Statute Barred clock stops when a claim is issued.

The hearing is listed for 14th July.

Di

I do appreciate that. However given the fact that there is a lot of conflicting evidence given by the claimant in both the P.o.C and their witness statement. If the claimant has instigated their claim on a purely speculative nature in attempt to stop the statute barred clock. ?

Comment

Originally posted by jon34 View Post
                                given the fact that there is a lot of conflicting evidence given by the claimant in both the P.o.C and their witness statement. If the claimant has instigated their claim on a purely speculative nature in attempt to stop the statute barred clock. ?
                                They may well have issued a 'speculative' claim to beat the SB date but that would make no difference to the fact that they HAVE issued a claim so the SB clock has stopped ticking.

The Claimant's motive for issuing a claim has no impact on the cause of action.

Di

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                                X