• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Resignation before suspension - request settlement agreement

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resignation before suspension - request settlement agreement

Hi All,

I have posted previously in the welcome forum http://legalbeagles.info/forums/show...-investigation
    but wanted to post here as well.

In summary I resigned from my role on the 16th June and was suspended pending an investigation into alleged gross misconduct on the 27th June. My resignation was in no way connected to the suspension issue and I am now very keen to leave the company.

It has been suggested that I email my employer requesting a settlement agreement so that I can leave before my agreed last day when I resigned (1st September). This would avoid the need for a prolonged and painful investigation and potential disciplinary process as I am already leaving the company.

What are people's thoughts on this? Mainly, is this something that you would advise I do and what are the possible implications of this if the employer rejects the request and pushed in with the process anyway?

All thoughts and observations appreciated.

K
    Tags: None

Re: Resignation before suspension - request settlement agreement

Any help with this issue would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Comment

Firstly can I just ask how much notice do you contractually have to give? Is there an update on the status of the investigation?
      If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
      If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Hi Ula,

Thanks for your reply.

Contractually I have to give 13 weeks notice but I assume that the company accepted my leave date of the 1st September as they have now advertised my role.

In terms of an update I attended an investigation meeting last Tuesday (4th July) and put across my views and am waiting for the results of the investigation.

I sent a letter on the 30th June requesting the company's agreement to me leaving with immediate effect incurring no additional pay but have not received a response to this.

Thanks.

Comment

I have caught up with your previous thread and see a lot of my questions and concerns have been dealt with. I think the reason they have not responded to your communication of 30 June is that they are waiting to conclude their investigation. Since it is nearly a week since you say them I would hope that they would get back to you soon with an update/decision on the investigation.

Do you know whether your new employer has requested a reference from your current employer?
          If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Hi Ula,

I chased up my proposal with my employer yesterday and got a reply this time stating that I should get a response by the end of the week. I think you're right that they are waiting to conclude the investigation but this doesn't help me sitting at home worrying about things and getting more stressed!

Ultimately I don't want this to affect my new role...I don't believe that any references have been requested as my new employer hasn't asked me for any contact details which appears a bit strange as I have signed a contract with them.

Comment

I think you will have to see what they come back with at the end of the week - I appreciate that this is worrying for you.

Was the offer/contract subject to satisfactory references being received?

Comment

Thanks again for your reply Ula.

Yes, the offer was subject to references however I'm hoping that I will be able to provide the details of the people to contact for references?

This is concerning me as the new employer hasn't asked for any references yet. Is it normal for employers to wait until your first day to ask for references? I would have thought that this is something that should have been done during the recruitment process and at least before I was offered the role?

Thanks.

Comment

Some companies may take a verbal reference for expediency before making an offer, many do not and in which case it may be that the offer has been made "subject to satisfactory references" - check this in the documentation you have had from your new employer.

Comment

You're correct that the offer has been made subject to satisfactory references but I haven't been asked to provide any references yet.

There has been a high turnover of staff recently so I have a number of people I can provide as references which I presume they will request from me at some point soon or would they as a matter of course just request the reference from the HR team?

Thanks.

Comment

Two options they will get in touch before you start and ask for referee details or they will leave it until you start.

Normally you are asked for two referees of which one must be your last employer. If you have a named person they can write to then provide their details (although that person may still get HR to complete it depends on any policy the company has about who can provide a reference) if not then it will go the to HR department.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                      See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                      X