• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Consent by Implication

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Consent by Implication

Hello, I've been wandering these forums for some time now and I thought now would be the time to ask for a bit of advice on a few things.

I have worked for the company in question for over 2 and a half years, so my employment rights should be solid. As you can imagine with most employers the honeymoon period has dwindled off and the subordinate relationship between myself and the employer becomes more pronounced. Things often get said off the record, particularly negative re-reinforcement.

As of background to this question, I was off work for a couple of days tending to my other half who had been in a minor car collision which required hospital treatment, in this time I had become rather Ill myself and needed an additional couple days to recuperate, not only for myself but for my other half also. The precedent of this absence I feel should in fact be the other half being in a car accident and selflessly bestowing her need for care onto myself.

However, it has been a well known fact in the hierarchy that I often partake in casual work away from my current employer, much like a few other of my colleagues, now for 2 and a half years they have turned a blind eye even to the point of allowing me to take my holidays to partake in said work.

Upon my return to work I was questioned about the authenticity of my illness, after providing the employer with pictures of the smashed up car via email you would have though they would have issue compassionate grounds. In fact on this occasion it was construed that I was working during my illness and the only proof they had was that my casual work (competition in mind) is in the events industry and has an events calendar on an official website.

Another twist is that the manager contacted me via phone and told me not to bother coming in for the remainder of the week (it was a bank holiday at the time), after returning to work I find that they had to employ members of staff from other departments to displace my absence.

Upon being questioned I had to remind the manager that his absence of proof and conjectures had little traction in his argument and that my trade union would most likely favor fact over fiction, it was then suggested to me that there would be more than one way to skin a cat.

Fortuitously after the dust had settled I referred to my contract which said I required written permission to work casually and then proceeded to compose a letter that would warrant an acknowledgment of my casual working, so if they intended to facilitate a dismissal on this subject I would have at least some definitive acknowledgement of my casual working.

My question is would this be a suitable legal instrument should the employer attempt to dismiss me later on for breach of contract, to pursue a legal endeavor on the grounds of Consent By Implication.
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
X