• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

** DISCONTINUED *** County Court Claim: Lowell - JD Williams

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Do I have grounds for defence? County Court Claim: Lowell - JD Williams

Seems ok to me.

At this stage, a defence should be a response to the claim particulars, rebutting any points which are disputed & bringing in any other arguments which may not have been mentioned in the particulars but which are pertinent to your defence.
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

I had a lot of £12 charges added to the account over the years, sometimes there was 2 x £12 admin charges in one month even though I was paying the amount I could afford each month at the time. It amounts to around £400, and that's only the charges up to 2012, so there are probably more too since then.

I have just read a defence statement on another site that said the following - I believe Penalty Charges may have been applied to the account and as such may be unlawful under the Unfair Consumer Contract Terms Regulations 1999.

Would it be okay for me to add something like that to my defence?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Comment

Frankly I don't know. I think it may depend if these charges got you in a cycle of debt

If it's 400 for 2012 there must have been many months with 3charges

Had you told them you were in financial difficulty?
        [MENTION=87380]Diana M[/MENTION] [MENTION=6]Amethyst[/MENTION] [MENTION=5553]charitynjw[/MENTION]

Comment

Thanks for your reply warwick65.

The charges add up to around £400 for between 2007-12, not just for 2012, but that's only taken from the statements that I do have for that time period....I don't have them all. I also don't have the statements for between 2012-2015, so there are probably more charges on those too.

Yes they knew I had difficulties and yes it was the charges that escalated this debt severely....the original amount of items I purchased came to around £350, I have since paid back around £1300, and they now still want another £1500 almost on top of that.
          Last edited by Mustbekarma; 23rd July 2017, 11:13:AM.

Comment

Just a quick question - should the notice of assignment I received from Lowell have been a true copy of the original assignment, ie: with JD Williams logo and footer on it? Thanks
            Last edited by Mustbekarma; 23rd July 2017, 14:57:PM.

Comment

After submitting the defence, is it a case of just waiting to hear from someone?

As it stands I've filed my defence. I've heard nothing at all from Lowell in regards to the CCA request, and nothing from JD Williams in regards to the SARS request yet and still waiting for the solicitor to provide copies of the agreement and default notice.

Comment

Originally posted by Mustbekarma View Post
                Just a quick question - should the notice of assignment I received from Lowell have been a true copy of the original assignment, ie: with JD Williams logo and footer on it? Thanks
                No not necessarily. In any event the assignee can send NOA

Comment

Hi again,
                  I've just had a letter from the solicitors sending me a copy of the Directions Questionnaire that they have lodged with the court. I haven't had no response from Lowell in regards to the CCA request at all, but I know it was signed for. Also the solicitors hasn't sent me a copy of the default notice or agreement yet. As they are proceeding, does that mean they probably have those documents but just haven't sent them to me yet? Thanks

Comment

Possibly but not necessarily - have you had a directions questionnaire from the court yet ?
                    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Hi Amethyst,
                      No I haven't received my Directions Questionnaire from the court yet, but I'm wondering if I should have received it by now as Lowells have had theirs. Will it be logged on the moneyclaim site when I am sent a Directions questionnaire? There isn't anything showing there at the moment. Thanks

Comment

Should the directions questionnaire that the solicitors have sent me a copy of be showing that it has been lodged on the moneyclaim site? It's been 8 days since they sent me it but nothing is showing on the moneyclaim site and I also haven't received any questionnaire from the court yet.

Also why do they say they have 0 witnesses on the questionnaire? Do they not need a witness to go to court with? Thanks

Comment

0 always they state 0 witnesses means nothing at this stage, they can turn up anyway if it got that far,

Comment

Hi, please can someone advise me what to do in regards to the Directions Questionnaire and mediation as I have to send it to the court by the end of this week to ensure it gets there in time.

So far, I haven't received any acknowledgement to my CCA request that I sent to Lowell at all, not even a letter confirming they are looking into it. I sent it to their PO Box address and I know they signed for the letter I sent about 5 days after I sent it as I checked the royal mail site and printed out a copy of that signature.

I did receive a response from their Solicitor to my CPR Request and I am still waiting for them to send me a copy of the Agreement and Default Notice.

As I understand it, because I haven't got the agreement or default notice, I don't have enough information to enter into negotiations, so do I say No to mediation?

Also if I say No and have sent the questionnaire to the court, but they come up with the agreement and default notice before the date the questionnaire had to be returned next week, could I ask the court to change it to yes?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Comment

Imho it is usually better to say 'yes' to mediation.
                              If you still haven't received documentation by the time Mediation Service contacts you, it will likely be deemed not suitable for mediation, in which case it is referred back to the court for allocation.
                              Courts are 'big' on parties settling disputes without resorting to formal litigation.
                              So that way you can satisfy the 'I tried to mediate' box.
                              CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
                              Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
                              gets his brain a-going.
                              Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
                              The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

As Charity says, tick yes to mediation and yes to Small Claims , then also list any dates you know you will be unavailable , you don't need to give a reason . If you are going away you might want to add a day or two at the end of your holiday just in case there is a delay getting back- can you imagine say landing at 2am and having to be in court for 10 am the following morning!

As for mediation, well you may decide you just can't be bothered with the hassle and think £50 for example would be worth it to get rid, in which case you could use mediation to say something like
                                Although the claimant hasn't supplied any evidence I owe the debt I am prepared to make an offer of £30 as a gesture of good will in full and final settlement- you then have a bit of negotiating power by going up to 50.

This is what I always did when I had to do budgets for my store, I would tell the Regional manager that sales would be 200000 and labour 14% , he would argue so we would settle on 225000 and 13.5% and I would bring in 250000 and 13% - looked like a hero

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                                X