• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Lowell Solicitors v John Smith

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lowell Solicitors v John Smith

Received a Claim: Yes
    Issue Date: 18/06/2017
    Total Amount: 350.00
    Claimant: Lowell Portfolio
    Solicitor: Lowell Solicitors
    Original Creditor: Orange
    Particulars of Claim: Will upload this evening when I return home
    Statute Barred: No, last payment made directly to Orange on June 2012.
    Letters Sent: None
    Acknowledge The Claim: Filed online last night, with the intention to defend.
    Any Other Information

I’ve bullet pointed the below to make for easier reading, hope it helps.

• Original contract was taken out for two year’s service. (Does it make a difference if a physical mobile is provided as part of the contract i.e. Service & Goods? Or does the CCA not cover it regardless?)

• On my credit report I can see two full years of payments, from May 2010 to June 2012, no payments have been missed.

• Assuming the contract was satisfied with Orange after the two-year term came to an end, I went about my way. I received letter after letter from Lowell’s claiming to be acting on behalf of Orange (I stupidly ignored these and stuck my head in the sand, hoping they were fishing, and had got my details from somewhere.)

• Appears on my Credit Report as Lowell Portfolio with a current balance of £225, last payment was in June 2012, however it has been last updated one the 23rd January 2014, I’m going to assume this was the debt being sold on?

Really the way I'm looking at it is I have three options

Contest it myself, which will possibly result in me having to pay the full value within the allotted time to avoid a CCJ?

For such a small amount would it be cost prohibitive to get a solicitor to represent myself?

Or just settle the claim directly with the solicitors outside the court?

On a final note I suffer from social anxiety and asperger’s so am really keen on keeping myself out of a courtroom, however I really hate feeling like I’m being backed into a corner.

Many thanks for your kind help.
    Tags: None

Re: Lowell Solicitors v John Smith

Hi

First question- I think it would be completely prohibitive to get legal advice for such a small sum, you would probably pay that just to get a defence and witness statement written.

If it was just a service contract the CCA does not apply as in many cases the phone is 'free' and you pay the service contract- it will depend on the wording.

Most of these telecoms agreements are for a minimum term and then require you to give notice to terminate it as it changes to a rolling monthly contract

However all is not necessarily lost and Lowell will need to prove they have the right to bring the claim

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
    See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
    X